A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Playing with polymer clay - bird, dragon and Glumps  (Read 3971 times)
Tags for this thread: bird , dragon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitiza
« on: July 07, 2011 11:57:14 PM »

I have wanted to try polymer clay crafting for such a long time but I just haven't got the chance. This week I finally had some time of my own so I decided to make my first polymer clay figures ever! And here they are:

First I googled some tutorials but when I finally took the clay to my hands I forgot the tutorials completely and just went with it. Cheesy The pink bird is the first one I made. I love birds.

After making the bird I wanted to try something else and I continued with a dragon. This one took a bit longer time to make (I love details) but I really like the way it turned out to be. This one is my favourite, actually.

And because I had some extra time I decided to just make whatever comes to my mind and these small creatures were born. I wasn't really sure what to call them but Purpley Goodness helped me naming them (Thank you!). So meet the Glumps! I am sure that I will make more of them later.

This was my first adventure in the world of polymer clay and I am sure it won't be the last. I had so much fun! Cheesy The only annoying thing was that no matter how clean I though my hands were I was always somehow able to make the clay messy. I used Fimo Soft and it was really pleasant to work with.

Comments, critique and hints are all welcome. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011 05:10:18 AM by Kitiza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011 01:12:48 AM »

They are all so cute - the dragon is my favourite!  I can't believe this is your first try with polymer clay!  I haven't tried Fimo Soft before, perhaps normal Fimo might be better?  I find it doesn't stick to my fingers too much.  It will be great to see what else you come up with!  Maybe those little creatures could be Glumps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011 01:16:44 AM »

I've never used Fimo, so I can't give any advice, but all the creatures you made are great! They all have real personality, I think the dragon is my favourite too, but the two little guys are really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011 01:18:08 AM »

These are really cute, I love the dragon especially. And your attention to details Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
Kitiza
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011 05:05:00 AM »

Thanks for your comments, everyone! Smiley

I haven't tried Fimo Soft before, perhaps normal Fimo might be better?  I find it doesn't stick to my fingers too much.  It will be great to see what else you come up with!  Maybe those little creatures could be Glumps?

I couldn't find normal Fimo from the shops around - only Fimo Soft, Fimo Effect and Cernit. :/ But I'm quite happy with the Soft, I don't mean that it's sticky but the clay itself got messy because of all the small things that were on my hands.  Embarrassed I handled fabrics before starting with the clay but I washed my hands in between so I don't know how it all got there. Sorry if I was a bit vague in my other post.

Glump is a good name for them, thanks Purpley Goodness! Smiley From now on I will call them that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011 10:18:27 AM »

Welcome to polymer clay!  Grin  Love the Glumps especially.

The only annoying thing was that no matter how clean I though my hands were I was always somehow able to make the clay messy. I used Fimo Soft and it was really pleasant to work with.
Comments, critique and hints are all welcome.

I'm glad you had a good experience with FimoSoft.  The only times I've tried that line of polymer clay were very frustrating--just didn't do what I was used to being able to do with other polymer clays, though some colors/bars were a bit better than others.

If you want some tips on avoiding dust, color transfer, etc, though when working with polymer clay, check out this page at my site under the following two categories at least:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm
...Fingerprints, Smoothing & Dust
...White or Any Clay--Keeping Clean

P.S.  If you're interested in other topics re polymer clay, from "the basics" to sculpting, jewelry, special techniques, brands, lessons, etc, you might want to check out the rest of my online polymer clay encyclopedia (from its Table of Contents page) as well:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

Keep posting whatever you play around with!
Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011 10:20:27 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Kitiza
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011 11:43:14 AM »

Thank you very much, Diane B.! Your site is excellent! Cheesy I will try to absorb as much information as I can. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luvebuggy99

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011 12:00:17 PM »

Those are super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap 'til you drop!

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces! PM ME! Smiley
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011 09:28:17 AM »

love the dragon! he looks so angry and endearing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011 02:08:10 PM »

Considering this is your first time with polymer clay, you make it look so easy!! I might have to give it a go Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make 4th of July Marshmallows
How to Make Raspberry and Passion Fruit Tarts
Dirty Mint Chip Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe with Coolhaus Ice Cream
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches for a Crowd
National Ice Cream Day to Match Your Mood
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...