A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hemlock Braaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnsssssssss!!!  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread: hemlock_ring , blanket , lion_brand_fishermans_wool  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovieDovieAnn
« on: July 07, 2011 08:36:50 PM »

So I started a Hemlock Ring a few weeks ago that was originally intended for my sister's birthday in the middle of August. I thought it would take me forever because it's deceptive and tricksy. Turns out it was super easy once I ripped the first version and added stitch markers as I went the second go round. Anywho, my mom went in for brain surgery on Tuesday. I thought to myself "She needs this more than my sister." I really feel that having something made with love helps the healing process speed along. So I scurried to finish the last 12 rows (I ended on 40 of the pattern chart in hopes of making it a one skein wonder. It ended up needing just a smidge from a second skein on the bind off row.) I completed on Tuesday night while waiting for the results of her surgery. Blocked it for about 10 hours yesterday (my stitches are really even so it didn't take long at all!) and gave it to her today.

Wonky Blocking (I straightened it after viewing this pic):

THE preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'BLOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB'):

Blurry macro!:

And again! (closest to actual color):

The moustachioed victim:

I used Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and size 10.5 needles. I used the two circular method for the center and it worked great. Hint: I own a Boye Needlemaster set, thanks to the victim. Since it doesn't come with two sets of each size I used an extra pair of size 8 needles for my left needles. The gauge stayed the same.

Also, I got a big ego boost when, not 10 minutes after giving it to her, a nurse came in and asked if she'd made it. She said "No, my daughter did!" and smiled all proud-like. The lady says "It looks so professional!" My mom then proceeded to tell her that I should be a professional crafter. Much blushing and wishing there were more places to hide away in a hospital room ensued. >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manderines
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011 09:21:17 PM »

Its so beautiful, hope your mum heals well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Purpley Goodness

Increase The Peace!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011 12:02:38 AM »

That's gorgeous, I would love to have that level of skill just so beautiful.  Your mother looks like a happy recipient - I hope all goes well with her recovery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011 06:06:12 AM »

Thanks, ladies! Purpley Goodness, if you can knit, yo, k2tog, and ssk, you can make the Hemlock. It's mostly just counting. This is the first time I've worked from a chart and that makes it soooooooo much easier than deciphering a wordy pattern. Just remember, stitch markers are your most bestest friends on this one.

Oh, and I forget to mention that I used a size J crochet hook for the bind off. Just pick up three stitches, sl st, ch7, repeat. It went a lot faster than I assumed the original bind off would. 17 stitches per 3 on the needles? NO WAY. D:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011 10:11:15 AM »

Totally epic knit! Way to keep at it! I'm sure it really helped your mother Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crendon
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011 11:21:09 PM »

That really is extraordinarily beautiful...you did an amazing job. I hope all goes well with your mother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Designer Fall Shoes You Want (and Can Actually Afford)!
Backstage at Zadig & Voltaire
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...