A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pintuck woes... my machine or my error?  (Read 608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Milanna
« on: July 06, 2011 11:40:38 PM »

Hi everyone!  I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the sewing machine section as I may very well be in the market for a new or additional machine if this problem can't be solved.

I have pintuck feet for my Janome but I can never get it to actually make pintucks. No matter how thin the fabric, how tight the tension, and how many different needle/thread/fabric/length/etc variations I try, I always end up with just lines and lines of parallel stitching. Not cool Sad. I've been told that pintuck feet don't actually make pintucks (if so, why call them pintuck feet?! and why would people buy them?) and that they are a waste.

However, there are multiple blogs and videos on youtube showing the foot in working action! And scrolling through blogs today I found this entry showing someone using her pintuck foot and the results:
http://dolphinplanet.jugem.jp/?eid=172

Almost all of my designs have rows and rows of itty, bitty pintucks much like the ones in the link above and I'm super tired of doing them by hand.  It would be much easier accomplished if I could get the pintuck foot to work. Or, at the very least, confirmation/denial on whether pintuck feet actually make pintucks!! Heck, at this point I'm willing to break down and buy a new machine if I have to!  I have a Janome MC5200 (well, the MO200 which is the same thing with a different cover).  If anyone could offer suggestions for the cheapest, pintuck-guaranteed machine I'd also happily listen.

Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropdeadred77
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011 09:32:39 AM »

I bought a third party pintuck foot for my machine, and these are the instructions from the seller/manufacturer:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/12228803/aview/Pintuck_Foot.jpg

I never  had much luck to be honest, but maybe this can help you somehow. If I got one straight one the next one would be wonky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuthieG101
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011 08:43:58 AM »

I've never used a pintuck foot, for doing pintucks.

All I do is mark my fabric where I want them to sit, and then fold my fabric at this point. I use my zipper foot, so that I can see the edge of my fabric (or you could use an open-toe foot, but I don't have one) and then I sew a straight line alongside the fold. The distance from the fold depends on the size of the pintuck I want. I then fold along the next line and repeat the process until all the tintucks are complete and then iron/press them all in the direction required.

A cool thing I have seen using pintucks is to sew a straight line from left to right over the pintucks and then sew from right to left over the pintucks, so that alternatively the pintucks lay in opposite directions leaving a waves type pattern. Looks cool on cusion covers!

I hope this technique can help you produce your pintucks. Sorry I couldn't help with the foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011 02:56:43 PM »

Check this link out:  http://books.google.com/books?id=ft_qCrwc_BYC&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=ahles+pintucks&source=bl&ots=yoBvAgGwWK&sig=C0JCvBCsiOR7IUTZnsYjpKvp6nE&hl=en&ei=Q_NjTsGxGMvAgQfIpoSkCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

It is for the chapter on Twin Needle stitching (pintucks) in Carol Ahles' Fine Machine Sewing, on of my sewing "Bibles".

And, stupid question, are you using a twin needle?  Can't do pintucks with a pintuck foot without a twin needle.

GL
SewNutzz
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011 02:59:49 PM by sewnutzz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold the Head of an Origami Paper Crane
How to Fold an Origami Bird Base
How to Make a Simple Paper Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Paper Booklet
How to Make a Simple Paper Airplane with a Tail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...