A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cake Mix Cobbler  (Read 2218 times)
Tags for this thread: cobbler  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2005 10:44:13 AM »

This is one of the easiest recipes I've ever run across. My Dad passed it on to me (he used it when he was a boyscouts troop leader!)

It's pretty adaptable, the only vital ingredients are: 1 cake mix, and 1 stick of melted butter or margarine, and prepared pie filling (either from a can or something you've cooked yourself...it just needs to be a syrupy reduction)

Take your cake mix (I suggest vanilla, but your could try a cinnamon spiced version or whatever you think would be good). Stick the mix in a large bowl. Mix in the melted butter/margarine with your fingers until mix comes together slightly and is crumbly. (It will be very dry)  Set aside.

Grease your pan (I suggest a large glass baking dish) with your leftover butter/margarine wrapper. And pour in whatever filling you choose to use. Canned pie filling works great (two cans is about right), But if you wanted to use fresh fruit you absolutely could, spice it to your liking (try not adding too much sugar, the cake mix topping is really really sweet and rich!).

Now you can crumble your cake mix on top and pop into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the topping is golden and a little crunchy and the filling is bubbly.

All I know is that the key is the juiciness of the prepared filling. The cake soaks a lot of the liquid up, so you can try baking the fresh or frozen fruit (without cooking it a bit first) but I'm not sure how it will turn out. It's worth a try though! That would be a little healthier and less rich. (If you make it the "normal" way, you'll see what I mean)

Oh and try mixing nuts into the cake mix too!

Hope that made sense, this is a kind of throw it together, trial and error sort of recipe from my dad...so this is as good as it gets! But I'll answer questions is something's not clear.

-NellyPie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
Paisley_Piratess

Who has more fun than people?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005 10:57:44 AM »

Nellypie this is a great recipe!  My mom makes the same version for Turkey Day and Christmas using Pumpkin Pie Filling! Thanks for posting it! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005 11:49:12 AM »

Thanks NelliePie! I'll let you know how it goes with the fresh peaches and blackberries...I'm thinking maybe I'll add some fresh juice and cook it all down with some brown sugar and vanilla...could be weird but I don't think it'll be terrible, I mean can you really go wrong with butter, sugar, cake and fresh fruit? You rock for getting this up so quickly.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005 11:51:54 AM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paisley_Piratess

Who has more fun than people?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005 10:03:04 AM »

Hey LivinEasy: I wonder if a cornstarch or arrow root slurry would be just the ticket to hold the juices together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005 12:18:27 PM »

Tell me about this "arrow root slurry" you speak of...and Yes, by jove, I do think that cornstarch could be just the thing I need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

turtlebriana

always trying to do new things

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005 01:11:30 PM »

Awww. During my childhood, we camped with the same family friends every year. And every year, they would make this in the campfire coals in a dutch oven.

They canned their own peaches and would pour two big mason jars of them into the dutch oven. Then they'd pour a whole box of Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines white or yellow cake mix in on top.

And then their dad would surround it with charcoals, and on top of the dutch oven, and the whole thing would bake for like 30-40 minutes. Yum!
Sometimes we'd have ice cream with it too, if we'd gotten some recently (doesn't keep too well in a cooler for long).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005 03:41:36 PM »

Yup! This is a dutch oven original! I think it WOULD work just as well without the butter if there was enough liquid from the fruit. (I'm not a butter fan anyway!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
Imdee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005 11:22:47 AM »

I make this with cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple.  I just pour the dry cake mix on and then pour the melted butter on top.  then I sprinkle pecans over it.  It's my absolute favorite.  If I make it, I can't leave it alone.  Every time I walk by I have to sneak a bite. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauriemk
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005 12:43:36 PM »

I have a really similar recipe which is cake mix, one can pie filling, and a can of Coke.

Just put the pie filling on the bottom of a greased pan, whisk the cake mix in a separate bowl to break up lumps, and spread the cake mix over the pie filling.  don't mix!  Then slowly pour the Coke over the cake mix, and have fun watching it foam.  Cook for an hour in a 375 degree oven until the top is golden brown. 

It is good and very easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft_t_chic
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005 01:08:01 AM »

I make this with cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple.  I just pour the dry cake mix on and then pour the melted butter on top.  then I sprinkle pecans over it.  It's my absolute favorite.  If I make it, I can't leave it alone.  Every time I walk by I have to sneak a bite. 

I've made this same one and it is absolutely delicious!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Go Behind-the-Scenes of the Hunger Games Fashion Shoot
Get a Glam, Pearl Mani For Prom
Rock a Major Jeweled Accent Nail on Prom Night
Get a Reverse French Manicure For Prom
How to Create the Perfect Cat-Eye on the Fly
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...