A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extra Stitches! Why?  (Read 263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AndreaKiss
« on: July 06, 2011 09:57:58 AM »

I've just learned to M1 and am having trouble with it.  After my second row is complete i have 1 extra stitch!  Here is what i'm doing:

cast on 3 stitches

row 1:  knit

row 2: P1, M1L, P1, M1R, P1 (5 st)     After this i have 6 stitches and for the life of me can not figure out what i'm doing wrong. 

This has actually been very hard for me because i'm using size three needles and worsted weight yarn.  I took me forever to figure out how to M1 with only 3 stitches and on the 2nd row... it was hard to find that "running stitch."

I'm working on the Ginge Marmalade pattern in The Knitted Odd-bod Bunch, in case any of you have that book and would like to give me a few pointers.  This is the most advanced knitting i've ever done.  Before this i knew how to knit and purl and do bar increases and decreases.  I've only ever knit scarves and a couple of seed stitch purses before.

Thanks in advance for your help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011 08:31:17 PM »

I have no idea where you are getting that extra stitch. Are you making sure the yarn comes under the right needle to the front when you start the purl row rather than over?

Given how tight your gauge is I'd actually do a "delayed m1" instead if it won't interfere with the next row, it would be a lot easier. Where it says to m1 (r or l) just yarn over. On the next row knit the yarn overs so that they are twisted. Assuming you knit in the most common fashion the leading leg of your yarn over will be in front. To make it lean left, knit in the back of the yarn over. To make it lean right, slip the yarn over knitwise, slip it back to the left needle (leading leg is now in the back) and knit it in the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011 06:29:46 AM »

How are you doing the M1s? They should be done lifting the yarn between sts from the previous row (that's the 'running thread/st) and purl into that. You're starting with 3 sts, increasing 2 which should leave you with 5. The videos at knitting help may help you see how to do them; I think there's one for the purl incs too - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
AndreaKiss
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011 12:03:39 PM »

Thanks for your advice!  I figured out what i was doing.  On the M1R i wasn't knitting into the front of the stitch, for some reason i was knitting into the back and bringing the loop over with the new stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put in Hair Extensions at Home
How to Rejuvenate Your Hair
Do Scissors Need to Be Sharpened for a Haircut
Rudi Lewis Hair at Adam Lippes - Fashion Week NY
Home Remedies for Winter Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...