A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need crafty minds to help me decorate my craft room... on the cheap!  (Read 1276 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MollyGirl
« on: July 06, 2011 08:52:24 AM »

OK, my husband and I have finally decided who gets to use which spare bedroom.  We have a 4 bedroom house and no kids, just dogs, so we have 2 extra rooms!  He wanted a home gym I wanted a craft room, we agreed I should have the room with the big window! Yay!!! Anyway, it is a medium sized bare room right now, and since I am an unemployed grad student I have 0 funds to decorate with.  I need thrifty ideas for storage, etc.  Right now all my craft supplies are in big ugly plastic totes, I want nice pretty things!  I make some jewelry, crochet, sew and do some painting.  I am so overwhelmed!  Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011 03:47:12 PM »

Storage: painted cardboard boxes?
Desk: some wood on top of sturdy boxes, ? rescued door, scaffolding planks, unwanted shelves.
Jewellery bits and bobs: small jam jars and containers

You can always use pallets as a source of wood, but you'll need to do a lot of sanding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
fochaux
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011 06:16:20 PM »

Jewellery bits and bobs: small jam jars and containers

I like that idea for myself....my twins went through a lot of jarred foods so I will have tons leftover if you'd want them FFS Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
MollyGirl
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011 06:48:17 PM »

Those are exactly the kinds of ideas I was looking for!  I see all of these awesome craft rooms but they look really expensive!  I'm definitely interested in the food bottles!  Tons of things could go in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

Antidigger
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011 10:47:12 AM »

Scrap paper can always turn into origami boxes for holding stuff.
http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-boxes-and-containers.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MollyGirl
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011 11:00:55 AM »

Those boxes are a great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jack London

desrika
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011 12:52:00 PM »

Thrift stores, yard sales, and freebie lists would be your best bet to get some storage sorta goods.  I have been in the same situation here & there myself.  I am using my living as my craft room also & I have found that the plastic drawer on wheels make a great storage for alot of my craft goods.  Jars of any sort that food comes in usually work I have even taken advantage of the plastic flat boxes that my nails come in that I buy at the dollar stores.  If you need any storage containers I may also have a few that I could spare for you (plastic shoe box sorta ones).  It also depends on what sorta crafts you do as  to the storage you are looking for. Grin Wink Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011 04:14:18 PM »

OMG Craftster users are awesome!!!  I crochet, bead, sew, embroidery, paint a little.  Basically I do a little of everything.  If you want to trade for some things I would be completely open to that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jack London

desrika
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011 10:08:54 AM »

Sure, No problem I do all those too (that is when I have time!), between my FT job my home Biz I sparingly have time here & there.  My Business is called Li'l Bit O' Everything because that's what I do. Smiley  Feel free to mssg me on FB also I'm there all the time.  I am currently getting into button/pin making I just got the hand unit and am looking for the other units and all the supplies to make buttons, key chains etc.  So if you ever see any @ reasonable prices let me know.  i also have a page on Yahoo called mad crafters Xchange to do just that exchange craft supplies, projects, etc but to only swap or give away.  feel free to use it & spread the word!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011 08:34:53 AM »

Just signed up to join the crafters exchange.  Can't wait!  I'll keep an eye out for stuff like that. We're rolling up on the big 127 yard sale in a couple of weeks so I might be able to find stuff there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jack London

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011 06:51:08 AM »

I just finished my craft room (well finished as in, its in working state now... I don't think it will ever be "finished"), and also had little/ no money for decorating, or storage etc. 

I made a bunch of newspaper baskets for storage, I also covered a few cardboard boxes with decorative paper (wrapping paper in some instances), if you have any extra fabric you could also make fabric covered cardboard boxes (I know there are some tutorials for that on here... I just looked at them an hour ago). 

For small item storage, I just asked friends/ family if anyone had unwanted glass jars, of any sort.  I use mason jars for buttons, jewellery findings, and really anything else that I can think of.  I also used a spice rack that I already had (but didn't use) for bead organization.  To make them look a bit nicer, I used scrap paper to cover the tops. 

I also made clothes pin lines on the wall, using just push pins and yarn.  I painted my clips, because I wanted them to be prettier too (of course). 

As for furniture, I got super lucky.. everything I got was free, either unwanted stuff from family, or stuff that I picked up on the side of the road. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
MollyGirl
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011 07:47:29 AM »

I just scored an oak computer hutch on Freecycle!  I'm hoping I can use it as a work-center!  I love the ideas of using jars too. It seems I remember a tute somewhere for using baby jars with the lids screwed onto a shelf so they hang under the shelf to free up more room.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jack London

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Wheeler and Mark Siegel Talks About Boogie Knights
Dia Reeves Talks About Bleeding Violet
Beth Kobliner Talks About Get a Financial Life
Toby Lester Reveals His Favorite History Book
But I Wanted a Baby Brother Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...