A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Odd-bod Bunch Pattern  (Read 767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AndreaKiss
« on: July 05, 2011 09:38:16 PM »

I'm currently trying to knit the Ginge Marmalade stuffie from the book The Knitted Odd-Bod Bunch.  This is the most advanced project i've ever knit.  I'm having trouble understanding the pattern, and have read that it is ok to post an excerpt.  I understand the instructions for the first 3 rows, but i'm stumped with the instructions for the 4th and 5th rows.  Can someone help me, please?!?

"Row 4: Using B, purl.  The last 4 rows form the st st stripe pattern, repeat throughout.  Strand the yarn not in use on the WS up the right hand edge.  Work shaping as follows:

Row 5: K1, M1R, K5, M1L, K1 (9 st)

starting with a P row, work 5 rows st st* cut yarn and put sts onto stitch holder.

Second and Third Legs- work as for 1st leg.

Fourth Leg work as for first lef from * to * leave stitches on needle and do not cut yarns.

Join Legs:  Keeping the stripe pattern correct:

Row 11: Knit across 9 sts of the fourth leg [cast on 2 st using the backward loop method, with RS facing, knit across 9 sts of the next leg on stitch holder] three times (42 sts)."

Ok, the first confusing thing to me is how i go from row 5 to 11.  I know what purl is, K1, M1R, etc. means.  Its the instructions i don't get.

Sorry if this is confusing or annoying.  I hate to ask for help here but i don't know anyone who knits who i can ask for help and i really want to knit this cat.  The pattern is on pages 14 and 15 of Donna Wilson's The Knitted Odd-bod Bunch if that helps. 

Thanks in advance for your help! Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011 11:57:51 AM »

So...you'd do Row 5 like it says.

Then Rows 6 - 10 are "starting with a P row, work 5 rows st st*"

So 6-10 is just st st (Stockinette Stitch - starting with a purl row)

So...
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: Purl

Did I help you at all?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaKiss
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011 01:27:58 PM »

YES YOU HAVE!!!  You've made my day and saved my sanity, lol.  Thank you so so very much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaKiss
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011 01:30:20 PM »

I do have one other question... the pattern is for a striped cat... the second color isn't joined in until the 3rd row.  After that there isn't another place in the pattern that specifies when to switch back to color A and then back to B again, so i'm assuming that i just switch colors every 3 rows.  Is that right?  Or is this one of those patterns where its up to me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011 06:36:25 PM »

I'm not familiar with the pattern..but i just looked it up on raverly.  It actually looks to me like they are switching colors every 2 rows...but really it wouldn't matter...however you want the stripes. 

If you're on raverly, another helpful thing to do is read at the helpful notes other people made about the pattern.  I've saved myself some trouble by doing that a few times.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaKiss
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011 07:46:33 PM »

Awesome!  Thank you for taking your time to do that and answering my question.   Grin  You're awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011 06:26:06 AM »

Row 4 says to use color B and that the stripe pattern is established with those 4 rows. So you keep switching colors according to how you did on those rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
AndreaKiss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011 12:01:50 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaKiss
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011 12:27:31 PM »

I hate to annoy everyone with this, but i have no one else to turn to!  My only resources are this site, Ravelry, and  the knittinghelp forums.  Maybe one of these days i can return the favor...

I have another question:

Im still learning about reading these patterns on row 11 of ginge marmalade it says to:

Knit across 9 sts of the Fourth Leg, {cast on 2 sts using the backward loop method, with RS facing, knit across 9 sts of the next Leg on Stitch holder} three times. (42 sts)

{ are meant to be brackets, but for some reason regular brackets wont show up in my post.

Does this mean that i need to cast 2 stitches onto row 10, then knit across the 11 sts and then keep knitting across the other legs? Or knit across the 9 sts, cast on 2 more, then knit across the next legs 9 sts, cast on 2 more, and so on? After i understand this part i need to figure out how to knit all these pieces together. I didnt carry my yarn up the WS as the pattern suggested because it always ended up on the RS. Im just confused about all this. Im sorry to keep asking so many questions i hope i dont become the most annoying person on Ravelry!

Another general question: If a pattern states something, like Knit across 9 st of the Fourth Leg and then has something in brackets, do i assume that what is in brackets is what i do? Row 12 is the same.

***EDIT***  I think i got it!  So i knit across the 9 stitches, then do what is in brackets 3 times because i have 3 more legs to join, and i'll end up with 42 sts.  So K9 then what is in brackets 3 times, then move on to row 12, right? 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011 12:34:40 PM by AndreaKiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaKiss
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011 02:23:36 PM »

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!   Sorry for being such a pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Turkey Gravy
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Cranberry Sauce
Orange and Grilled Pork Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...