A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Granny square patterns  (Read 1905 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bootchacka
« on: July 05, 2011 08:23:11 PM »

Hello hello.  It took me a good 4 months to figure out the granny square and now im addicted.  I love making these squares. I just wanted to know everyones favorite variation of the granny and links to patterns <3 I want to make a binder just for various granny patterns. I know Art of Crochet by Teresa has a bunch but I want to know yourr favorites. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011 04:51:41 AM »

My favourite motif for making a more solid blanket than a granny square can give you is this circle-to-square motif:

I can't remember where I first saw this kind of pattern, but I do have my altered version (it has a bigger circle).  It's written in a way that assumes you know how to do an appropriate turning chain (and assumes you know which turning chains count as stitches) :

Rnd 1: 12 dc
Rnd 2: 2dc in each dc from previous round (24 dc)
Rnd 3: *2dc in one st, 1dc in next st* 12 times (36 dc)
Rnd 4: *1dc, 2dc in next st, 1dc in next st* 12 times (48 dc)
Rnd 5: *1dc, 1dc, 1dc, 1dc, 2dc in next st* 12 times (60 dc)
Change colours here if you want.
Rnd 6: *1sc in each of 10 sts, 1hdc in next 2 sts, 5dc in next st, 1 hdc in next 2 sts* 4 times (76 sts)
Rnd 7: *1hdc in each sc of previous rnd (10hdc), 1dc in each of next 4 sts, 5dc in next st, 1dc in each of next 4 sts* 4 times (92 sts)
Rnd 8: 1dc in each st, 5dc in the middle stitch of the 5dc on previous round. (108 sts)

To make it bigger, repeat Rnd 8 as many times as you want. It will add 16 sts to your count each time. If you want a bigger circle in the centre, well, youre going to have to finesse the pattern a bit.

In your searches for new patterns, you may want to expand you search terms to include "motif" as generally, "granny square" refers to a specific pattern, whereas "motif" includes a variety of shapes and patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madame marigold
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011 05:54:01 AM »

OH nicely done! Love the colors! Where did you pick up the multicolored one? First thought that comes (to me) with those colors is Easter!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011 05:57:48 AM »

It reminds me of Easter, too!  I'm thinking of finding a solid colour that matches the blueish colour in the varigated and joining the squares with that.

The yarn is all Bernat Satin - likely found either at Michaels or Mary Maxim.  I'm not sure if that variegated is still being made, though.  When I see a colour of this kind of yarn being discontinued I tend to snap it all up. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MollyGirl
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011 07:48:25 AM »

Don't know if you have found this site or not, but there are a ton of patterns for various size squares.  I usually make the 7" squares.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Bootchacka
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011 07:49:39 AM »

My favourite motif for making a more solid blanket than a granny square can give you is this circle-to-square motif:

I can't remember where I first saw this kind of pattern, but I do have my altered version (it has a bigger circle).  It's written in a way that assumes you know how to do an appropriate turning chain (and assumes you know which turning chains count as stitches) :

Rnd 1: 12 dc
Rnd 2: 2dc in each dc from previous round (24 dc)
Rnd 3: *2dc in one st, 1dc in next st* 12 times (36 dc)
Rnd 4: *1dc, 2dc in next st, 1dc in next st* 12 times (48 dc)
Rnd 5: *1dc, 1dc, 1dc, 1dc, 2dc in next st* 12 times (60 dc)
Change colours here if you want.
Rnd 6: *1sc in each of 10 sts, 1hdc in next 2 sts, 5dc in next st, 1 hdc in next 2 sts* 4 times (76 sts)
Rnd 7: *1hdc in each sc of previous rnd (10hdc), 1dc in each of next 4 sts, 5dc in next st, 1dc in each of next 4 sts* 4 times (92 sts)
Rnd 8: 1dc in each st, 5dc in the middle stitch of the 5dc on previous round. (108 sts)

To make it bigger, repeat Rnd 8 as many times as you want. It will add 16 sts to your count each time. If you want a bigger circle in the centre, well, youre going to have to finesse the pattern a bit.

In your searches for new patterns, you may want to expand you search terms to include "motif" as generally, "granny square" refers to a specific pattern, whereas "motif" includes a variety of shapes and patterns.

I started making a bunch of sqaures like that with rainbow purples in the middle and black on the outside to make a backpack, i have maybe 10 squares and never finished lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bootchacka
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011 07:50:34 AM »

Don't know if you have found this site or not, but there are a ton of patterns for various size squares.  I usually make the 7" squares.  Smiley

what site?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011 08:01:28 AM »

Probably this one: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MollyGirl
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011 08:35:33 AM »

That's the one!  Sorry about that I hit send to fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Bootchacka
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011 08:50:20 AM »

Ive never seen that site before.  Thanks <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dating Advice from Avan Jogia
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Inside the Beauty Closet: Kool Aid Lipstain
Aubrey Plaza Cosmo Dor Latinas Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...