A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,237
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Disney pin groomsmen boutonnieres (with tutorial)  (Read 2142 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , disney , boutonniere  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2012 02:36:15 PM »

My wedding is coming up in less than a month, and I've been busy busy crafting many different unique personalized elements to make the big day beautiful. my latest project is the boutonnieres for the groomsmen. we have no floral elements in the wedding My wedding bouquet is made of antique brooches (pictures to come) and my bridesmaids are caring handbags not flowers. so it did'nt make much sense to have floral boutonnieres for the groomsmen, so i decided I would have to make them. they needed to be untraditional yet still elegant, I found the perfect solution.

When he proposed my Fiance surprised me with a two week trip to Disney World. While we were there one of our favorite activities was pin trading (http://disney.go.com/eventservices/whatispintrading.html) we managed to collect almost two entire sets of these beautiful character silhouette pins. we decided these pins would be a great way subtly incorporate our mutual love of Disney and our engagement trip into our wedding. each of our wedding party was assigned a character from the set and their boutonnieres were designed around the pin (the bridesmaids will have fascinators made in the same style)

I am really happy with the way they've turned out and wanted to share the process with all of you.

here is a list of supplies that you will need

first you will want to assemble all the pieces you are going to need to build the boutonniere

1. Cut a rough leaf shape from the page of an old book

2. Hot glue a piece of 19 gauge wire (roughly 3-4 inches long) to the bottom of the "leaf" and curl/crumple the "leaf" to give it some texture

3. Next wrap a piece of 19 gauge wire (roughly 3-4 inches long) around your contrasting feathers, use needle-nose plyers and squeeze the wire tight to ensure the feathers wont fall out. make two of these

4. to Create a branch of beads begin by stringing one bead onto a length of thin jewelry wire (roughly 16ish inches long) leave about 3-4 inches on one side for the "stem"

5. Use the remaining wire to twist around the bead to form "branches" continue to add more branches until you are happy with the shape of your bead branch.

6. Create a bead stick by stringing a small bead onto the top of a piece of 19 gauge wire (roughly 3-4 inches long). use your needle nose plyers to bend the top end of the wire (roughly .5 inches) over the bead and back down to meet the rest of the wire stick (this secures the small bead) then thread a larger bead onto the wire. push it up against the small bead so the hole in the bead goes over both the original stick and the top end you've just bent down, if you have small tail from the top end you've bent down, use your needle nose plyers to bend it up over the big bead a little bit to ensure the big bead doesn't fall off. (sorry sounds complicated it really isn't)

7. next wrap the stem of the bead branch around the stem of the bead stick to form one unit

8. now onto the pin (or whatever centerpiece you choose to use) hot glue a small part of the lace to the top back of the pin

9. Give the lace a small "dart" or "pucker" to allow it to bend around the pin, hot glue it into place on one side

10. Continue dart/puckering and gluing to each edge until you've wrapped the lace all the way around the pin. Trim the edges of the lace and glue any loose ends into place, try to make the two edges blend as seamlessly as possible

11. glue the decorative metal piece to the back of the finished lace pin

12. arrange the elements. start by arranging the bead branches and the book leaf tap the stems together

13. then add the feather sticks and tap them into place

14. arrange your group of stemmed elements on top of the feather, hot glue the feather in place on the back of the stemmed elements

15. hot glue your laced pin in the center of the boutonniere

16. lay your boutonniere over the fluffy feather so just the tips of the fluff peek out at one side. (ignore the fluff at the bottom it will get covered in the next steps

17. tape the fluffy feather in place

18. use the wire snips to cut the stems down to the desired length

19. hot glue one edge of the ribbon to the back of the boutonniere stem, wrap the ribbon several times around the stem

20. to finish the ribbon twist it and wrap it once more around the stem

21. bring the twisted end around to the back of the stem and hot glue into place.

22. trim any remaining ribbon and tweek the elements to your liking
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=551011&ppuser=49951

and TADA! a beautiful unique personalized boutonniere

please let me know what you think. Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcome. If you find this tutorial helpful in making your own boutonnieres please post pictures i'd love to see your creations as well! 
thanks

THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
Helena Puck
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012 04:34:40 PM »

This is an incredibly good idea, a very tasteful and classy way to incorporate the Disney theme. Love the pins. I want to make one for my husband who loves Donald Duck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012 05:19:17 PM »

those are really nice and unique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
seneris

Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012 01:57:41 AM »

wow, those are great ! I look forward to seeing the wedding pictures here on Craftster Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012 12:57:12 PM »

Those are awesome!  Nice idea.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
Halloween Ghosts
How to Make White Chocolate Halloween Spooky Cookies
Food Truck Filled With Nutella Rolls Onto College Campus
Creamy Pumpkin Mousse Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...