A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about fabric for covering chair  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

werepoodles
« on: July 05, 2011 12:11:02 PM »

I've recently bought a chair at a car boot sale to paint and recover, I want to do a gothic themed chair for our house, but I'm not sure what fabric is most suitable to use, I've seen some gorgeous alexander kaufman cotton fabric but i'm not sure if this will be suitable for covering a chair or if I need proper upholstery fabric. It is not going to be a heavily used chair.

Has anybody got any advice for me?

I have never painted or recovered a chair before, have read that I just need to sand it, two coats of primer, then the top coating (not sure what paint I need to get as the top one, I just need plain black, however I intend to get more chairs to paint in brighter colours in the future, so what paint do I use then?)

I'm a total newbie to this kind of craft so be gentle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartcooking
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013 09:17:13 PM »

You really want fabric that doesn't stretch so that it won't get saggy.  What's a "car boot sale"? :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 08:33:32 AM »

A car boot sale is like a one-day market. You pull up in your vehicle, unload your stuff around your car in your designated space, and sell your wares as you would at any other market.

As for your chair, WerePoodles, you might get nice results using a black furniture stain. It's oil-based and designed to soak into the top layer of the wood. Afterwards, you can leave it be for a semi-matte finish, or give it a coat of shellac to seal it and make it glossy. Because these are oil-based products, they *can* take weeks to set, dependent on humidity and temperature.

As for fabric, any quality non-stretch material will work, but upholstery fabric is designed for long-term use and wear. If you want a more natural or rustic look, check out canvas and pillow ticking. Canvas is a simple, sturdy cotton fabric, while pillow ticking is a tightly woven, usually striped, fabric used to make down pillows (the feathers don't stick through it easily). Don't forget to pre-wash these fabrics so that they'll shrink. With most upholstery fabrics, that's not necessary, and if you use an indoor-outdoor fabric (designed for patio furniture), it will be resistant to moisture and sun fading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013 06:51:59 PM »

you can use spray paint or brush-on water or oil base paint for the chair.  I would probably go with the water-base brush on paint--it will be cheaper and just as durable as the others.  Ask in the paint department for recommendations; I think gloss paint looks nice, you might prefer something matte.

I recently read that chair seats should be covered in synthetic fabric so it won't stretch and wrinkle.  Ick, I'll go with woven cotton or linen and live with the rare wrinkles.  A heavier fabric will usually last longer than a thin one; I wouldn't bother with quilting cottons, they're just too thin to last.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock Bed Head
How to Put Flowers in Your Hair
How to Get Pretty Highlights
How to Make a Zigzag Part
How to Make a Hair Bump Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...