A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frumpy Ugh to Beaded Beauty!  (Read 1471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avrienne
LeeLoo Multicraft!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2011 10:59:46 AM »

I apologize for having no before picture, I am kicking myself for forgetting to take one, because the original dress had So. Much. Wrong with it.  Shoulder pads, baggy shaping, gaudy gold buttons down the front, and the narrow, tight sleeves that mean you can't lift your arms above your lowest rib without risk of tearing the dress.  When I saw it in the thrift store, it was a serious Ugh, but the fabric was so beautiful, and the price so good ($2.99) that I couldn't resist.  Even if I didn't rescue a reasonable dress from it, I was pretty sure I'd at least get a skirt.

But I managed a dress that I'm really proud of!

First went the buttons, then the entire top section above the bust.  There were darts on the bottom bust, so to make the top bust fit closely, I put in matching darts above them; when I realized the darts almost met, I extended them to make full seams, just looked better that way.  I took in the sides slightly to fit me better as well, but only above the skirt.

On the back, I took off the ties that so many shapeless dresses have--like tying two strings together is going to make a waist where there wasn't one before!  I replaced them with a wide section of shirring, and used the ties to make the straps!

That was all it took to make me happy with the fit, but when I was done I felt like it was very plain, and since I was making this for a relatively big family occasion (FIL's 60 birthday dinner, fancy-ish restaurant), I didn't want it to be boring.  Out comes the bead box....

Twenty little beaded 'donuts', made with right-angle weave, ranging from as small as an 8-bead base ring to 20-bead.  Each of these were made independently of the dress, and then sewn down when they were done.  Each took me about 15-20 minutes, so maybe six hours of bead work?  Not too shabby, I'd say...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thrift.make.wear: my frugal fashion and craft blog
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011 11:40:16 AM »

Oh my what a beautiful find for the fabric!  Good save, it's so lovely and flowy.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011 12:29:15 PM »

Lovely fabric.  I'm not surprised you decided to salvage it.  It turned out really well and the beading is a very nice touch that just makes the whole thing a bit more special. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
special_occasion
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011 06:30:50 AM »

That fabric is the most beautiful colour, you've made a beautiful dress but the beading makes it really special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraftswhenbored
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011 08:22:48 PM »

Nice job  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Scrambled Eggs
Healthy Kitchen Swaps
Decadent Mac and Cheese, from Ina Garten
A Super Bowl Party Menu, from Ina Garten
Feeding the Super Bowl Crowd, from Martha Stewart
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...