A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flocked Heat Transfer Using a Silhouette  (Read 974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 05, 2011 05:59:26 AM »

I've had a Silhouette digital cutting machine for about a year, and I've used it to cut vinyl. Then, I realized that I could use it to cut freezer paper for images (but saving and placing all of the tiny pieces isn't any easier). Recently Silhouette introduced their heat transfer material, in smooth and flocked. I purchased some flocked material, but didn't have a particular project in mind. This past weekend, I needed to make (finally) my Father's Day gift by 6 PM Saturday night. I was all set to cut the freezer paper stencils with the Silhouette and then use fabric paint. Then I remembered that I had the flocking material, so I decided to give it a go. I loved the result! The only problems I had were that I kept losing the dot above the letter "i" and the center of the letter "e" in "Acme" (and I did tear one bit of the letter "y" on one... because I wasn't really paying attention).

Anyway, these shirts are for my step-dad. He has a habit of wrecking his t-shirts while working on various projects, and if it's a shirt I've made him (silly fabric painted shirts, not works of art), my mom gets upset. So, I wanted to make him shirts that he could wreck without fear of repercussion. I was originally going to write "Wreck This Shirt" or "WTS" on them, but then I found this neat little set of construction vehicles in the Silhouette store. When I saw the wrecking ball, I knew how I'd use it.

I made the shirts in 4 colors of the flocked heat transfer (one color per shirt... I wanted to see how it went before I tried anything fancy).

Here's a close-up:

If I were to do them again, I'd make the design a little bigger, but otherwise, I loved how easy it was. I wish the material was a little cheaper, but it's worth it for special occasions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
hockamama
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011 07:16:11 AM »

Those are adorable, what a great idea!  How often are you presented with something that you have permission to destroy?!

I have a cricut, and while I love it, sometimes I wish I'd known about the silhouette before I bought the cricut.  I use mine for freezer paper stencils frequently.  It sure is much simpler than the old light box method. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011 08:13:42 AM »

Great shirts, I love that you made him 4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011 08:49:46 AM »

Thanks! The shirts came in a pack of 4, and I figured I might as well make them all. I had originally planned to get white (my mom says she likes white so she can bleach them), but he likes the pocket T-shirts so he can hold his glasses and they didn't have any white in stock (and because I waited until the last minute, I didn't have time to shop around). Then, when I decided to use the flocked material, I was glad I got the grey. If my mom had bleached the flocked material, it probably would have ruined them.

And, I haven't yet explored the full potential of the Silhouette, but I love looking at things that others have made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Chutney
How Tamarind Is Used in Indian Recipes
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk Recipe
How to Make Channa Masala Sauce
Maya Kaimal Talks About Her Cooking Experience
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...