A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Freeform Octopus  (Read 11849 times)
Tags for this thread: octopus , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011 06:33:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone! Paul the psychic octopus...I had never heard of him, but that's really funny.  Cheesy He does look the part of a cranky cephalopod, too! I appreciate all of the input!

Bootchacka - I worked his tentacles in the round, starting with, I think, about 50 ch. I sc'd in each ch, back towards the body, then moved onto the next tentacle. I went around the edges with about 6 rows of sc. I hope that makes sense. I didn't intend for him to be curly, but I was happy with the result.

Lol yea that makes sense.  How'd you make the head of it? 
Think of it like a pear, with a skirt attached at a weird angle. Grin I stuffed the 'pear' before beginning the 'skirt,' but I didn't tie off the yarn in between. It's worked as one piece until I had to do the underbelly - that was about 10-12 chains, slip-stitched together, then I started sc'ing into the ring, trying to keep multiples of 8 so that my increases lined up with the tentacles as I worked outwards.
(p.s. American crochet terms.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011 07:11:50 PM »

This is fantastic, it looks so real!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
erica_tattoos
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011 07:14:28 PM »

haha.... that's why it's always a lil scary to stalk the crochet boards.... sooner or later someone's gonna stop speaking english!!! but srsly tho - awesome octopus! the shape and, i dunno - posture?  and everything is so perfect!!! great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bootchacka
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011 07:33:57 PM »

Thanks, everyone! Paul the psychic octopus...I had never heard of him, but that's really funny.  Cheesy He does look the part of a cranky cephalopod, too! I appreciate all of the input!

Bootchacka - I worked his tentacles in the round, starting with, I think, about 50 ch. I sc'd in each ch, back towards the body, then moved onto the next tentacle. I went around the edges with about 6 rows of sc. I hope that makes sense. I didn't intend for him to be curly, but I was happy with the result.

Think of it like a pear, with a skirt attached at a weird angle. Grin I stuffed the 'pear' before beginning the 'skirt,' but I didn't tie off the yarn in between. It's worked as one piece until I had to do the underbelly - that was about 10-12 chains, slip-stitched together, then I started sc'ing into the ring, trying to keep multiples of 8 so that my increases lined up with the tentacles as I worked outwards.

So you didnt close the pear part before adding the skirt or you closed it by left a long tail.  From the pic the bottom looks open or something lol.  And howd you do the eyes like made them then attached then felted while on the face? sorry for so many questions, I just love crocheting ocotpui. There my favorites and ive never seen one as good as this <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011 08:36:30 PM »

Fantastic -- you've really captured the expressive physicality of an octopus!

As for a name, how about Jacques, for Jacques Cousteau, certainly the man responsible for first opening the eyes of the world to the wonders of the ocean.  I watched most of the "Undersea World" episodes when I was a kid, and the one that has stayed with me most vividly had an extended segment on octopi, which included showing how smart they are: something that would intrigue an octopus was put into a screw top glass jar, which was then put into a tank with an octo; it was a matter of mere minutes before the octo had explored the jar, figured out how to unscrew the top, and got to the treat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lidehtium
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011 09:23:16 PM »

So cute! I absolutely love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seabound23
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011 09:24:56 PM »

This is killer! Love love love.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011 01:17:48 AM »

I love the shape of this guy, so realistic but still cute. You did a great job with all the different shapes on him, and it's cool to hear how you did it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZoeyQ
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011 02:40:46 AM »

I like  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011 07:02:54 AM »

So you didnt close the pear part before adding the skirt or you closed it by left a long tail.  From the pic the bottom looks open or something lol.  And howd you do the eyes like made them then attached then felted while on the face? sorry for so many questions, I just love crocheting ocotpui. There my favorites and ive never seen one as good as this <3
Make the 'pear.' Once it's stuffed, close it off with a few stitches. With your very next stitch, begin the 'skirt,' stitching directly onto the body. The tentacles are at the edges of the 'skirt,' and once they are complete, tie off your yarn. Begin a new piece to cover the belly. Join that piece to the edges of the 'skirt' with slip-stitches - you'll stitch through the tentacles where they meet the 'skirt.'

He is open on the bottom. I wanted to be able to stuff things into him like he's actually eating... you know, action figures, socks (the terrible socktopus who eats only one sock of a pair...there has to be some explanation as to where those socks go Wink Cheesy ), etc. for silly photo-shoots.

The eyes were needle-felted into shape, then needle-felted to the head.

Waterbaby - I like that! Jacques the Octopus! Thank you - that fits him perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Paper Airplane with a Tail
How to Make a Basic Paper Crease
How to Build an Origami: Boat With Roof
How to Fold an Origami Flower Part 2
Mac Tip: How to use your Mac Trackpad
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...