A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Little Chainmaille (first try)  (Read 1208 times)
Tags for this thread: chainmaille , necklace , gunmetal , ring  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 04, 2011 12:00:25 AM »

Made this necklace as practice for the Great Chainmaille Swap! It's a craft I've been wanting to try for a while. I love how swaps push me to try new crafts.

The weave is called "Shaggy Loops" and I found the tutorial on http://cgmaille.com/. It was easy and addicting! I've already been out twice for more rings.

I used two of the the $5 packets of jump rings at Michaels. They're copper-based with a hematite finish, 18 gauge. I noticed while I was there today that they now have a different line of multicolored, aluminum rings too (3.99 for 150 of the same size rather than 4.99 for 250 of two different sizes).

It's about choker-length, maybe a bit longer. All the rings are the same size. I found the awesome closure in my stash and thought it fit the style of the necklace really well.

Thanks for looking! Now I have a new craft addiction Smiley It's really good for doing in front of the TV.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011 12:25:36 AM »

What a great name and it suits the style so well too. I like those colours and the whole necklace looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
NotKnit

My best works.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011 07:17:13 AM »

Neat pattern. Awesome that this was your first try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinafox5

yes, husband, I spent THAT much at Hobby Lobby 0:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011 02:40:51 PM »

This is totally inspiring Smiley I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Forget Edward and Jacob...Team Jareth Smiley
http://wists.com/carinafox5
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011 03:22:51 PM »

Thanks! In hindsight, I've been trying some more difficult weaves and have decided I'm not so addicted to it after all...Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011 09:12:07 AM »

Thanks! In hindsight, I've been trying some more difficult weaves and have decided I'm not so addicted to it after all...Tongue

that's so funny that you're not so addicted!  those of us who are, are, and become addicted at the first weave.  shaggy loops isn't really a weave...it's chain, not maille (and was created by my friend , the owner of metaldesignz in canada).  maille can be a bit more difficult, but if you learn euro 4 in 1 first, that's a great building block for the european weaves.  then you learn japanese 6 in 1 and learn the japanese weaves , and so on.  then you start creating your own weaves and on and on!  LOL.

what you've done is chain making, and a really fine job.  people tend to call "it" chainmaille when it isn't.  chain is round and 3-d if you will; maille is flat and mesh (maille is the french word for mesh, hence the word).

don't be discouraged, but also, don't worry...there are plenty of other addictions, so if chain and maille are not it...you'll find others.

fjd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
mephistopheles
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011 01:11:20 AM »

I like that in the hematite color! That's one pattern/weave/whatever you want to call it that I've never tried, simply because I was afraid it would look to sloppy. But it fits with the color of the rings.

I agree with what funkyjunkdesigns said, too--I'm only a beginner as well, and it's a lot more fun to work on smaller and simpler weaves first.  I like the box chain and byzantine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kazel
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011 01:55:17 PM »

I really like how this turned out.  I may need to look into getting some rings, even if this is not-quite-chain mail, I'm more project oriented anyway ;-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Spider Crafts: Steampunk Spider Jewelry; Antique Jewelry, Lace Shawls
PeachieClean
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011 10:47:25 AM »

Haha, Phong is awesome! (The guy that owns CGMaille) And might I suggest either going though a specialty ring supplier or going to welding shops/feedstores/other places that sell wire?  C&T, TRL, Blue Buddha... There are loads of them around.  You'll get your rings at a better cost and they are generally better quality than the tiny packets of craftstore rings, which tend to be a mystery metal and just... @-@  You know? Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Nautical Stripe
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Kitesurf in a Suit
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Windsurf in a Suit
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Stand Up Paddleboarding
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...