A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Cleaves?  (Read 15216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theresa24

You can never have enough yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005 06:52:55 PM »

Kimbabwe I really like your version...I didn't like the puffy  of the selves but that looks like something I might actually go out of the house in.

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2005 05:19:11 AM »

Great job, Bronxie! It looks great! What mistakes?? We are usually the only ones who notice the mistakes in our work... wear it more than once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2005 12:32:51 PM »

I'm hoping one of you brilliant people that have finished cleaves can help me.

I've finished both sleeves and am trying to start the cowl but I don't understand how to add more stitches  in between the sleeves after I transfer them to my circs.  I understand how to do the cable cast on but when I try to apply it....it feels backwards.  I hope this makes sense.  If anyone can help me I'll be forever grateful.

And btw, I'm new at knitting.  This is my first time working on circs and dpn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
Kimbabwe
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2005 07:27:34 PM »

I'm impressed, Night Owl! Congrats on your entry into the world of circs and dpns -- a whole new world has now opened up for you! Truly!

Okay, so you've got the part where you knit across the stitches of one sleeve?

I didn't necessarily follow the directions in the pattern for the cable cast-on. I just did my usual cast-on to add stitches, and it came out just right.

I don't know if this is going to make sense written out, but here's what I did: after you knit across the stitches of the first sleeve, you take the end of the circ needle that is in your right hand and insert that point into the top first stitch on the left needle like you're going to knit it. Wrap the yarn around it like you're knitting it. But as you lift the stitch off of the left needle (again, still treating the stitch like you're just plain knitting it), take the point of the left needle and insert it into the front of the stitch on the right needle from left to right. Drop this NEW stitch onto the left needle. You've just cast one one stitch. Now do the same thing again with the stitch you just made -- insert the right needle into that new stitch like you're going to knit it, etc., etc.

When you've cast on your 36, 38, 40, whatever stitches, then knit across the stitches of the 2nd sleeve. Then cast on the required # of stitches again.

Then join them all (assuming you're doing a size small, this would be: stitches of 1st sleeve + 36 stitches + stitches of 2nd sleeve + 36 stitches) into a round and start knitting and purling around and around and around until you've done your 8" worth!

Hopefully that makes sense... Good luck!

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mophopstepjump

seam rippers are my life.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2005 08:28:46 AM »

Wow, these all look really good!  I love the smaller sleeves, they look a bit easier to wear.

I've been wanting to make these for a really long time, but I haven't been able to find the right needles/yarn.  My LYS is a little far, so I'm mostly limited to Michael's and JoAnn... unfortunately.  They only have a few of the yarns that might work... Wool-Ease Chunky in a few colors and Jiffy.  I'm not a huge fan of Jiffy because I always feel like it'll be too fuzzy and end up sort of felted.  For anyone who's made this in Jiffy, how did it turn out?  Does the yarn pill really easily?

I'm really dying to make these, so any help is incredibly appreciated.  And do you think that 29 inch circulars would work for the cowl?  I tried to work in out in my head and I don't think they'd be too long... but who knows.

Hurray for cleaves... I can't wait till I can make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2005 01:06:39 PM »

Great job, Bronxie! It looks great! What mistakes?? We are usually the only ones who notice the mistakes in our work... wear it more than once.

Aww thanks. I recently frogged it lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VSUangel86
The Newest Urban Knitter on the Block

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2005 03:46:12 PM »

Here is my finished Cleaves, i didn't like the way it fit so i frogged it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Marissa

----->http://urbnknitter.blogspot.com/<--- (the blog)
thatgirl
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2005 01:02:35 PM »

so i meant to take a picture before i frogged it, but i didn't. i finished the cleaves (black with pink stripes) i followed the pattern adn everything and it could not have looked worse on me. my roomates say that if i had set out to make something that was ugly and unflattering i could not have done a better job. so i got drunk, shed a tear and ripped it up. short girls with big boobs, this is maybe not for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arts and crafts can be found here:
http://pantspresents2.tumblr.com
and here:
http://pantspresents.tumblr.com
Gigi Icon
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2005 03:31:56 AM »

Oh my god, I'm so sorry you had to frog yours.  My gal-pal and I are currently knitting ours together.  We decided it would be a good way to pick up a couple of new stitching skills (I taught her to use DPNs and I hadn't had a project where I needed to learn increasing yet) and make ourselves something that would at the very least be a fun conversation piece.

Also, because I'm a really difficult fit and incredibly self-conscious I learned how to do all the math-y stuff and change the pattern to work in the guage of a different yarn, etc, so that we could knit them in cheap-o acrylic yarn first and then if we love it we can do it again in a fancier yarn. 

All of this talk of frogging is scaring me a bit!  Shocked
You say short with big bubbies is a no-no, but what about tall(ish) with average bubbies and a huuuuuuge ass?  hehe, we sound like polar opposites...I guess we'll see what happens...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolitaContrer
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2005 07:51:41 AM »

I know this thread is super old, but I've been waiting for ever to do this one!!  Did it turn out well for anyone with a relatively big chest?  I'd hate to make it, and never be able to wear it.  I tend to be short too.  Anyway, i checked yarndex last night and here are some suitable yarn substitutions with the same guage and the lambs pride.

Baby Alpaca Brush
Rowan Cork
Lambs Pride Superwash bulky
Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky
Cillonette Prisim
Classic Elite Zoom
And Himilaya Yarn Wool/Silk

I'm not sure which will be the best. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid the Worst Design Mistakes
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Simon De Pury Talks About Design
Paola Antonelli Talks About What Makes a Design Good
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...