A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thread Dye Question, Please Help!  (Read 360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faerieangelchild
« on: July 03, 2011 07:43:39 AM »

Excuse me if I placed this in the wrong forum, let me know where I can go if that's the case.

I really need some help. I've spent two days searching for answers on the internet and for once, my savvy search engine talent has failed me. I'm planning on dying a linen dress I have in a tea bath, but first, I need to make changes which means I need to sew it. To make a long story short, considering the construction of the dress and such and such, I simply have to sew it before I can dye it in a tea bath.

I know polyester thread doesn't take on dyes very well, so I searched around and found this thread that was marked 100% glaced cotton. Some research into this taught me that glaced cotton thread is cotton that's been treated with a wax. That's all I know though.

My big, important, burning question is will this glaced cotton thread take on the tea bath dye along with the fabric?

Please help me, discuss, educate me. I'm dying (pun intended) to get this dress done and I will send you all happy wishes and thoughts if I can get an answer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Don't get caged in, fly free...
Kara B
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011 12:02:32 PM »

I don't know for certain, but I doubt it.  I know waxed, linen thread will not take up dye.  Have you bought the thread already?  If so you can make a small bundle and try to dye it.

I remember having a hard time finding pure cotten thread myself, but I know that both Gtermann and Mlnlycke sell them (the two most common threads around here).  If your craftstore sells them they might be able to order some inn for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011 03:25:31 PM »

I think you'll have to get plain cotton thread. Pretty sure that mercerized is just another word for waxed, and like Kara B said, I'm pretty sure that the wax will interfere.

Another option is to buy your favourite polyester thread in the colour you intend to get with your dye bath. That way you won't have to worry about whether the thread will dye or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The Fight to Make a Movie
Sherry Lansing: A Third Chapter
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...