A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Semi Easy Bed for 25cm BJD?  (Read 732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Short_Stack

You Gonna Make Biscuits!!!!!

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011 11:25:21 PM »

So my husband and I just bought two new BJD's, Skinny Cats by Castle Anne. They're YOSD height, but very thin. I'm really getting into tiny dolls now and have decided to make my little ones a room trunk. I want to make some cozy beds for them but I'm not at all sure how to go about it. Never made furniture before. Any inexpensive, relatively simple ideas floating around out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011 02:42:39 PM »

Personally, when I've made beds for dolls, I just measure how long the bed needs to be and how wide and use that as the mattress area. You can make the frame from heavy cardboard or cut from thin masonite/plywood. The footboard should be shorter than the headboard usually. I like to make the headboard with fancy shapes or scrollwork, or just painted details. If you're using cardboard you can use paper mache to detail it and cover up the corrugated parts that might show, or even just mod podge some scrapbook paper to serve the same purpose.

Anyhow, once you've made the bedframe in the usual H shape, then just sew together a mattress of the size you measured earlier. You could also cut a piece of foam the right size and just cover it with your choice of fabric. Blankets and pillows are pretty easy.

If I have time later I'll try to do up a sketch for you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011 06:19:57 AM »

for that size doll, i'd get some barbie or liv or monster high furniture that you like the shape of and customize it with plastic-friendly spray paint.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011 06:20:30 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
swamps42
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011 05:01:24 PM »

I do scroll sawing to make furniture for mine, but all you really need is some paint, cardboard (cereal boxes are best here), and foam. Cut the foam to the desired mattress size. Cover it in the fabric you want for your fitted sheet. Then, draw out a headboard (and maybe a footboard too) on the cardboard. Cut out a few of each shape and glue them together. I use mod podge since it doesn't wrinkle up the cardboard like elmers does sometimes. Then paint as desired!

If you really want to get fancy, you can use an embossing tool to get itty bitty wood grain into the cardboard before you paint it as well. Then you can smear watered down darker paint into the embossed bits at the end to really make the 'wood grain" pop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Role Does Objectivity Play in Experience Design
Enjoying The Challenges of Working in Design Research
How Research Experience Informs Design Career
How SCAD Alumna Finds First Job and Builds Design Career
Lawrence Nield on the Impact of Skyscrapers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...