A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camping Recipes and Tips (?)  (Read 1435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011 08:40:13 AM »

I am loving all these suggestions, thank you everyone!

I know that the "Walking Taco" idea will be very welcomed by my kiddos and is going straight to the meal plan! Cheesy  I'm thinking that that's pretty versatile and I could turn that into a Taco Salad for me!

I know that we will be heading into town at least one of the days so I will be doing chicken with potatoes and probably local corn on the cob as another meal.

Thank you for the couscous suggestion! I'm thinking that I could chop some veggies at my SIL's place before we head out and take that along in a container and whip the salad together at the campsite!

My SIL suggested potato packs with thinly sliced potato mixed with some chopped green onion and diced red pepper (again I'm thinking I could chop this before we head out) then sprinkles some seasoning salt over it. She apparently puts enough potatoes in the packet for the whole family (a family of 7) and folds it up in such a way that she can open it to check if the potatoes are done. Once the potatoes are nearly done she sprinkles some cheese over top and shuts the packet again for another few minutes. Sounds very yummy!

We just bought some "pie irons" so that suggestion for pocket pies is awesome! Someone at my work suggested a dessert variation with cream cream and pie filling!

I'll definitely take some packs of flavoured rice as well! Awesome idea!

Now I am hungry and REALLY can't wait to get on with this camping trip! Now off to have some breakfast!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Linnybelle
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011 08:27:51 PM »

That potato packet idea sounds delicious.  I might try to make it in my oven, since I have a bunch of potatoes that I need to use.

Also, with the walking tacos, I totally made mine into a taco salad when we made it at camp.  It works really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
cmb
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011 06:37:32 PM »

You can cook most things while camping. How many pots and pans are you taking? When my husband and I camp, we always have a dutch oven type of pot, plus several cast iron pans. This will be slightly long, sorry.

I have made spaghetti and meat sauce, with the help of the dutch oven and frying pan.
Fried potatoes can be made in a pan with lid or in foil pouches. Slice the potatoes thin, add butter, onion and garlic salt.
You can bake in dutch ovens, but I've never attempted that.

The mountain pie makers (uh, I guess you called them pie irons  Grin) you bought have endless choices. My favorite is white bread (outsides buttered) pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni inside. You can use bread dough, either make your own or buy the canned biscuit kind. Other popular fillings for my family are different canned pie fillings..cherry, apple, etc. We use the biscuit dough or crescent rolls for those usually, although bread works too.

You mentioned the breakfast foods, its easy to fry up bacon or sausage and then cook the eggs in the grease. You can even make toast on a grate over hot coals.

Ohh, soak some corn on the cob..with all the leaves...in water for a few hours and set near the fire or on a grate. Watch it so it doesn't burn, but the corn can be cooked the same way as baked potatoes.

The biggest thing is to make sure you're cooking over hot coals more than you are over big flames.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011 09:37:56 AM »

cmb, I am taking my cast iron frying pan and we also bought a cast iron grill that goes on our portable BBQ that we just bought last week, which will expand the cooking options a lot (or at least have hubby helping more! LOL). I don't have a dutch oven (yet) but I do have a medium size sauce pan I am taking along as well. Great idea to cook up the bacon first then do the eggs!

Thanks for the suggestion of using crescent roll dough! Kids are so gonna love this! And speaking of pie irons, another lady that I work with suggested using Nutella and slice bananas. MMMM.... now, sure hope that there are no fire bans when we go camping (currently we have a province wide fire ban where we are).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
pixie24
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011 02:00:26 PM »

i've never gone camping for several days straight. it's usually just overnight. we have this yearly tradition with my cousins where we camp overnight at the beach and everyone is assigned one thing to bring. one of my cousins always brings the grilled pork because we always request her to. it's our favorite. but since you'll be camping for days, you can probably do this on the first day perhaps since the pork will not keep well after several days.

what she does is she preps the pork before we leave. place it in a marinade of brown sugar, vinegar, crushed garlic, soy sauce, and some 7-up. i don't know how much of each she puts because she just eyeballs it. (i guess it depends on you if you want it sweeter or saltier or more sour.) put it in a spill proof container and pack it in the cooler along with the ice and beverages.

so it marinades on our way to the beach then come dinner time, we grill it. i swear we are always like vultures waiting for that to grill. no sauce needed because it's just really tasty since it marinades for so long.

my best (as voted by the cousins) contribution yet is chili and chips. i find that chili is better when it is reheated (the more reheats, the better) rather than when it's freshly cooked (the people whom i cooked chili for seem to agree too). so i make this the day before our beach camping trip and reheat on the morning of the trip then reheat again (on a pan on the grill) on site. so i guess you could make this ahead also and just reheat. we usually eat this over chips with some sour cream and a little cheese. this is usually our midnight snack. Cheesy

enjoy your trip! Cheesy

ps. if you're bringing canned stuff, do not forget the can opener! my friend went camping recently. it was a spur of the moment and they didn't get creative with their food and brought a lot of canned stuff. lo and behold no one brought a can opener. not even a knife or metal utensils. she showed me a pic of the can after they finally got it open. i died laughing. it looked like a piece of scrap metal! lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011 11:38:53 AM »

Breads seem to get overlooked often when camping, but you could make a couple premixed ziplock bags of beer bread mix and boston brown bread add the fluids later right in the bags. Both can be cooked over a fire. Boston brown bread is placed in a coffee can that is placed in a pot of boiling water. Beer bread is a quick bread that could be cooked in a bread pan in a dutch oven. You will be surprized how quickly warm bread is devoured on a camping trip. There is also a recipe for a shepherds bread that is cooked directly in the dutch oven with a cross on the top but it may be a more difficult recipe to cook or to find a recipe for.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011 12:31:40 PM »

Another thing you could try is taking pickled eggs. There are a variety of ways to pickle them. I've made a yellow pickled egg batch that was more savory and have made pickled beets and eggs that was on the sweeter side.
    Also, making up a variety of jerky is a fun camp snack. Teriaki, spicy, barbecue or smoke flavors are good and if you don't eat red meat you could make or buy turkey, chicken or fish jerky. Fish jerky can be found in Asian food stores.
    Another easy meal is cold soba noodles with ponsu sauce. You could even cook a miso soup. They come in easy instant packets.
    There are a lot of boil in bag options. I've taken some of the Indian style foil packet meals for a nice variety easy meal.
    Instant or parboiled rice can be cooked easily by adding hot water over the rice and letting it sit. You could make a breakfast with raisins (or any dried fruit), shredded coconut, milk, cinnamon and / or sugar.
    Many veggies can be kept unrefrigerated such as onions, carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
    I camp every year for a two week event with limited cooling resources so I usually think about how to make do without. I hate having to rely on ice every day and keeping everything dry in the cooler. I hope these ideas have given you some more options.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perils of Pursuing a Prince Book Trailer
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 2
Jerry Falwell Book Trailer
Sometimes Moms Can Be So Embarrassing
Valerie Fitzgerald Talks About Heart and Sold
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...