A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frida t-shirt (transfer pen)  (Read 13033 times)
Tags for this thread: frida_kahlo , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raine
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004 12:55:14 PM »

Hmmm...this is very exciting because I was going to try this soon. I have this thing called a blender pen which I have used to transfer images onto paper and other surfaces, but I have been wondering if it would work on fabric. It smells really strong, so I think its proabably just a similar kind of solvent as you were describing, monkeyrocker. I was hesitant to try it because I thought it might discolour or do something wierd to the fabric.
My other question is whether the solvent transfer will last through several washings, say if it were on a t-shirt. Do those sulky pen things last in the wash? Anyone know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melliott
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004 06:21:34 AM »

you can also do transfers with wintergreen oil.  i get mine from the aromatherapy section of a health food store.  it smells nice and isn't quite so terrifyingly toxic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004 08:45:30 AM »

Hmmm...this is very exciting because I was going to try this soon. I have this thing called a blender pen which I have used to transfer images onto paper and other surfaces, but I have been wondering if it would work on fabric. It smells really strong, so I think its proabably just a similar kind of solvent as you were describing, monkeyrocker. I was hesitant to try it because I thought it might discolour or do something wierd to the fabric.
My other question is whether the solvent transfer will last through several washings, say if it were on a t-shirt. Do those sulky pen things last in the wash? Anyone know?

Hi laural,  I have a blender pen too, but I haven't tried it on fabric.  The sulky pen doesn't have any solvent in it, and it is specifically for fabric and says it's permanent, so I think it will withstand washings, though I haven't tried it yet.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004 10:16:16 AM »

how do you use your blender pen to transfer things? is it like you would with acetone transfers? i've never been super happy with the results of that method but it DOES work on fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
pixelpusher
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004 10:28:08 AM »

This is really cool....
If you do a solvent transfer, can yo machine wash the fabric, no problem?
so many experiements... so little time..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slick
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004 10:37:41 AM »

how do you use your blender pen to transfer things? is it like you would with acetone transfers? i've never been super happy with the results of that method but it DOES work on fabric.

shs:  well, you just make sure you have a photocopy (the solvent reacts with the toner, I think), and then you turn it photocopy side down (onto whatever you want to transfer it to) and then go over the image (with some pressure) with the pen.  They're cool...but often a bit grainy and distorted...a cool effect for art, but maybe not as great on a t-shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raine
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004 11:00:07 AM »

I have found you can get a pretty good image with the blender pen. I think it depends in part on the photocopy quality and ink and how hard you press. If you burnish with a spoon or something, you get a clearer image.

I am going to try the blender pen on fabric this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out. I think if I heat set it, it will last longer. I will also look for those sulky pens, but I'm not sure where I can find them in my area (Vancouver). My back up is to try iron on transfers but it seems from this thread (http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=2257;start=0) that they don't last very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004 11:10:31 AM »

I will also look for those sulky pens, but I'm not sure where I can find them in my area (Vancouver).

laural--I bet you can find one at Dressew.  I'm down here in Seattle, and went up there recently and got tons of cool stuff there...it seems like they'd have them!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosewater
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004 08:08:53 PM »

Love it. I did something similar using a photo of Frida and one of those iron on transfers that you print out with your printer. Those things are great, by the way. I made a couple of other t-shirts using graphics I created, and I also used them to iron some photographs onto stretched canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004 02:17:50 AM »

I had never heard of/thought of this idea! Thank you all so much!  Just last night I was wishing I could stencil Disney's Robin Hood <my fave> onto a shirt, but I didn't think I would ever be able to make a stencil. Now I don't have to!! HOORAY!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - The Fresh Face
How to Do Skeleton Makeup for Halloween
FDA Approves First Facial Filler in US
Now You Can Use a Clarisonic on Your Feet
How to Do Zombie Make-Up
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...