A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,366
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your fabric?  (Read 5514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danynn
« on: June 30, 2011 01:19:14 PM »

I've been working on a new quilt that involved lots of colours, and my quilting room currently looks like a fabric store exploded. Cheesy So I thought that, while I've got most of the fabrics out anyway, I should rethink how to organize them. Up until now I've mostly sorted them into solids vs patterns, but my collection is getting kind of large and I think I need a more comprehensive system.

So how do you sort your fabrics? By colour? By size of the piece? By taste (hiding those hideous ones at the back)? By theme (baby, florals, etc.)? In the order you last used them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011 01:40:43 PM »

Well, usually my fabric is stored where I last used it and sorted by what I used last! But when I finally put it away it goes in size/bulk order as I'm always trying to fit more in my storage than will actually fit, so it goes in, big bits first, and then smaller and smaller until it gets to the as tiny as I will keep, stuffed in the drawer with only an inch left open or it will explode everywhere!

Probably not very useful, but if storage is your issue (as it is mine: I have one small drawer for all of it), perhaps. Oh, yes, if I get really desperate I'll iron all my fabric flat (in it's folds) so I can fit just one more bit in my drawer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011 03:23:29 PM »

Ugh. I'm prepping for a continent-wide move, as well as getting a new large piece of furniture (12'x7'. Don't ask.) All of that requires me to go through my fabric and put it in bins, to prep it for moving. What we ultimately did was this: We got about a dozen largish rubbermaid bins. They're now sorted by asking the following questions: Is it novelty or other non-quilting fabric? (put it in a separate bin) Is it for a particular project? (Group by project, put in ziploc bags, staple/tie ziploc bags together.). Is it a particular size? (put fat quarters together, charm squares together, etc.) Is it scrap, and if so, can it be cut into a particular size or width (ie 2"x whatever, 1"x whatever, 2x2" square, etc. If it can be, do it right now, otherwise it won't get done. Group by size and put in ziploc bags.) This seems to have taken care of just about all of itt, and is what makes the most sense for me. I have LOTS of semi-complete projects, but I don't buy many FQs without a particular plan for them, much less yardage. After I'm done moving, the bins will be put on shelves with labels. It's not pretty, but it's much more functional for me than mini-bolts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011 07:29:57 PM »

I have one large drawer in the bedroom that stores my fabric.  I put all my kiddie prints together, my Christmas fabric together, my flannel together and the rest I sort by color.  I find that the easiest, then when I'm working on a project and want a certain color, I grab that pile and look through it until I find what I want.  If I purchase fabric for a specific project, I find another place to store that (usually my yarn drawer) so that it doesn't get mixed in with my stash.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011 07:31:38 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandom
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011 07:12:32 AM »

At one point I had all my fabrics organized by color. Then I moved and they got all disorganized, and I never got around to re-organizing. Now all my bits of fabric are stored in bins and boxes in my hall closet, with whatever I used or bought last on top. One of these days I'll sit down and sort it all, but I just haven't had the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh i finally feel it, the stitching of beautiful seams
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011 11:11:17 AM »

When I first started quilting, I had a three drawer dresser for fabric. One drawer held my pastels and 30 reproduction fabric, one held all my fall fabrics, and the last held my Christmas and patriotic fabrics (as a lot of the reds and whites  could go either way).  My fabric has gotten out of control since, so I have to do some major sewing before I can buy any more Sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
bananabanana
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011 02:24:24 AM »

Currently I have uncut fabric draped over coat hangers, layer upon layer. Seems to work ok but I have to take it all off to get to the underneath layers.
The scrappy bits are all shoved in a plastic tub that errupts when I take the lid off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dailycrafting
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011 10:28:47 AM »

I use shoebox sized containers to fold them and keep them almost like 'file cards' in a cabinet. Each box is for a different color family (only have four boxes, ha!) except for a smaller box when I keep the few lines of fabric I've bought as a group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011 07:41:26 AM »

organize???  hmm. O r g a n i z e?

can you use it in a sentence please? i am afraid i am unfamiliar with the concept.  Cheesy

i have 5 huge bins stuffed and squished and rammed all together wily nilly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
kiera-oona
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011 09:28:19 AM »

I usually sort mine by color, then I have fabrics for specific projects set aside by theme.  This is provided my cat doesnt go into my stash, dump them on the floor, then sleep on them  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Taylor Branch on College Students and Sit in Movement
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Middle Men by Jim Gavin
Daniel Wallace Talks About His Novel The Kings and Queens of Roam
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...