A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Light up Eye of Sauron  (Read 55 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fatewineroses
« on: Today at 11:44:43 AM »

For my partner Mellius01 in the Three Tiny Movie Things swap, I made this. She listed the Lord of the Rings movies as her all time favorite series; so I definitely wanted to do something from the series. While stalking her and brainstorming about what to make, this came to me...a light up Eye of Sauron!

Now, I had never seen anything like it. I had no idea how I would make it; but I knew I had to make it. I just had to.

I originally found frames that would actually qualify as "tiny" (swap definition is an item 4"); but somehow lost the glass for the frame.  Roll Eyes Don't ask me how I "lost" it in a one bedroom apartment. So I had to go get new frames.

I originally was thinking I would put in in a shadowbox; but all the shadowboxes I found would require tools I didn't have to make a way to get the battery pack for the lights through it. So I found a four pack of frames and figured I would glue it all together.

I knew that the eye itself would be resin. I couldn't find an appropriate sized/shaped mold, so I ended up buying air dry clay and mold maker to make a mold the shape and size I needed/wanted. It turned out much rougher than I intended; but I figured it would work for Sauron. He's a rough and tumble kind of guy!  Grin

I watched a YouTube video about a million times about how to paint a pendant as the Eye of Sauron. I used transparent glass paints for everything but the iris. (I should have done two layers of black on the iris.) I baked it to lock in the glass paints; but I doubt that was necessary. This is it right after coming out of the oven.

I printed out a background. I was originally going to draw something; but decided at the last minute to print out a scene. I had determined the location of the resin piece and cut out a hole for it. I then mod podged over everything, cut the hole for the resin piece and made sure to mod podge over the edges so you wouldn't see any white. I cut a piece of cardstock in a dark grey the shape that holds the eye and glued it to the background. Parts of the background were wrinkly.

I used a piece of foam board to hold the lights. I covered it with aluminum foil first. You probably can't see; but I placed the resin piece directly on the foil and marked around it. Then I poked holes the size of the lights directly around and on the place I was going to put the resin piece. I glued the lights in from the back with some E6000 after checking to see if everything was lining up.

Before the glue.

Once I had those two together, I glued the glass to the front frame, glued the second frame to the first frame, placed the background w/ resin piece in that, glued the third frame to the second one, placed the light foam board piece in that, glued the last frame on...let it sit while my boyfriend used his little saw to make a space for the cord to go through. Glued a piece of Velcro to the back and the battery pack.

Voila! All done! I had to send late because it all had to dry for 24 hours.

This is the best picture I could get of it lit up. The reds are not as red as I would like. Were I to do this again, I would have to figure out how to make the red a true red.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:57:24 PM »

Wow! That's so incredible! Good on you for trying something completely new and nailing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Sesame Chicken in 22 Minutes
How to Make Shrimp Pad Thai in 22 Minutes
How to Make Vietnamese Lobster Spring Rolls With Spicy Dipping Sauce
Exotic Food Challenge: Dragon Fruit
How to Make Lemon Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...