A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Great Northwest Dress- A men's shirt reconstruction  (Read 3794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazylittlekels
« on: June 30, 2011 12:49:44 AM »

It all started 10 or more years ago when a father decided that instead of throwing away an old shirt he would give it to his daughter. The daughter, a young and naive reconstructer, fool-heartedly jumped right in! She wanted to make a duster like Mary-Kate and Ashley wore. She didn't know the rules of "measure twice, cut once" or even how to piece together a nice garment, but she gave it her best shot! And shortly thereafter gave up.

Flash-forward those 10 years, the same daughter finds these pieces of scrap in her sewing stash and decides that they may have some potential.
(Yes, seriously, that's how 12-year-old me left it.)
Not much to work with, but she gave it her all and came up with a very warm and comfortable dress! Perfect for fall in Oregon Smiley She even put her own special touches on the finished product.

Here is the tag that gave the dress its name:

And here is the dress's new tag:

And finally, here is the dress without the belt:
The End.

Author's notes:
The dress itself took 3 days to complete once I started working on it. I am so happy with the finished product! The shirt is a cotton fleece and is very comfortable. However, I cannot get any bigger or I won't fit into it because I sewed up the button area to the waist so I could slip it over my head.

Unfortunately, thanks to 12-yr-old-me's inability to measure and cut correctly, the sides of the shirt were cut off prematurely and don't match up exactly right. In fact, the heart is covering up one of the biggest mistakes that young me neglected to recognize. The pleat in the back is about an inch or two off from where it should be... oops! The heart itself is made from what I assume was fabric from the sleeves. Thank goodness there was enough of it to cover up such an obvious flaw!

This was my first time making pin-tucks in a piece of clothing for myself! I was very excited and proud of the way they turned out. It makes the dress fit so much better!  Cheesy

I would definitely be willing to try and re-create this dress in the future if I can find another men's shirt like this. If I can then I might do a tutorial, but honestly you can find all the tips and tricks for making something like this all over the internet like I did.

Thank you so much for looking! Please let me know what you think  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011 12:55:45 AM by crazylittlekels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
MerryGlas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011 12:57:56 AM »

It looks great on you, well done! I love the pic of how you left it aged 12...I've had so much stuff that looks like that!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goomba
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011 01:18:08 AM »

Great jobs. Looks amazing. I was a little more shocked that you still had it in your stuff from that long ago. once again, looks fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.
crazylittlekels
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011 01:57:57 AM »

It looks great on you, well done! I love the pic of how you left it aged 12...I've had so much stuff that looks like that!  Smiley
Great jobs. Looks amazing. I was a little more shocked that you still had it in your stuff from that long ago. once again, looks fantastic.
Thank you both! Cheesy I actually found some jeans from around that time too! I thought it was crazy how I let them sit in a box for 10 years without even a second glance. I'll be trying to give them new life too. Thanks again for your comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April Sprinkles blog
mandraco
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011 05:48:16 AM »

I find it amusing that my favourite part is the heart on the back that you used to cover a flaw.

And the sleeves rock. It's awesome as a whole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldenSunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011 08:58:17 AM »

Love the story that you had it in your stash for so long, and finally pulled it out to make it in a dress. Love it. Wish I could do something like that for myself, but problem is.... I hate wearing dresses...  Undecided

P.S. I want all of those books in the background- own personal library!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looking for fabrics! Willing to do a fabric exchange or some kind of swap.

I am up for private swap for Teesha Moore patches!! PM me if  you are interested! :-D
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011 10:53:00 AM »

I, like mandraco find it funny that my favorite bit is the heart covering the oops.

And I love the placement of the pocket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
crazylittlekels
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011 11:13:40 AM »

I find it amusing that my favourite part is the heart on the back that you used to cover a flaw.

And the sleeves rock. It's awesome as a whole.
I, like mandraco find it funny that my favorite bit is the heart covering the oops.

And I love the placement of the pocket.
Thank you! The heart is my favorite part too actually, I LOVE hearts! I'm glad it turned out so nicely Cheesy I was told that it should be my signature, lol.

Love the story that you had it in your stash for so long, and finally pulled it out to make it in a dress. Love it. Wish I could do something like that for myself, but problem is.... I hate wearing dresses...  Undecided

P.S. I want all of those books in the background- own personal library!
This shirt-to-dress would look lovely as a shirt as well! Sometimes I wish I had just cut it off shorter and made it into a shirt because it would probably get more wear that way, but oh well, at least I'll have it if the occasion ever calls for it Smiley

haha, most of those books are on gardening and photography Cheesy It's my parent's library, but a very nice place to take pictures Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

April Sprinkles blog
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011 12:45:02 PM »

What a great dress!  My husband did laundry a while back and shrunk one of his shirts just enough that he can't wear it any more.  I've kept it around with the intentions of altering it into something I can wear.  You've inspired me to get working on it... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
jasminewolverine
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Extrapolate that!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011 07:50:32 PM »

I recently picked up a men's XXL button-down at a thrift shop and have been browsing for recon ideas... and I just LOVE your dress! Fits like a dream and the heart applique on the back is just too cute. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap for stuff for my lonely, empty walls!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid Common Beauty Blunders
Skincare Tips for Anti-Aging
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Blue Eyes
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Brown Eyes
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Green and Hazel Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...