A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,321
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 Special Olympics USA Scarf Project Craftalong-CLOSED  (Read 27349 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2011 10:17:48 AM »

Thanks for the nice comments...nervous energy makes me knit fast! Cheesy

I do think simpler patterns are the best since the amount of work and the type of yarn has to be balanced...I would love to try out harder patterns but not using this yarn....I am not sure if I have enough yarn to make one or two more, but whatever, I will be pretty sick of red and blue! Cheesy

(except, I am going to make a Spiderman afghan and guess what colors it is? UGH!!!!!!!! Cheesy)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 10:18:20 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2011 12:10:59 PM »

I agree, these are not my favorite colors-- but I kinda like that constraint.  makes the individuality of the work itself stand out even more!

Finished my irregular stripes scarf:

And have stared another with bands of houndstooth.

But it seems to curl up an awful lot.  I'm debating making the bands of pattern a little shorter, and inserting rows of garter stitch or even blocks of seed stitch, rather than stockinette, to break them up.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 12:12:12 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2011 12:20:29 PM »

I love the houdstooth! Do you just carry the yarn behind?  I know that with stockinette that curling can be a problem...I am not experienced enough to know how to fix that...

I also enjoyed making random stripes more than any of the other patterns...yours turned out pretty nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2011 12:22:11 PM »

I'm debating making the bands of pattern a little shorter, and inserting rows of garter stitch or even blocks of seed stitch, rather than stockinette, to break them up.

Not being a knitter, I really don't know what you mean there, but I think it looks lovely as it is! Unless what you said about the different stitches would make it not curl as much, then go ahead and do it.  Roll Eyes

Over here in the land of hooks, I was easily able to find the colors (not the soft ones though) at my local Michaels. So now I have two skeins of blue, and two of red to play with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
yofi

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2011 12:28:10 PM »

Actually, it's a slip stitch always; so it doesn't look half bad on the back side.

The end band is garter -- don't know why I didn't stick with that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2011 03:12:32 PM »

I've started my first scarf! I'm carrying the yarn up the sides b/c I despise weaving in ends, and then I'm going to make a single crochet border around the outside to hide the carried yarn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
yofi

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2011 04:12:20 PM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2011 04:49:56 PM »

Beautiful!

Thanks! I now remember why I haven't used Red Heart in forever - it is sooo rough! I wish I could have found the soft stuff. Oh well, I'm pretty sure you get more in a skein of the scratchy.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2011 07:37:28 PM »

alwaysinmyroom - The afghan sounds neat! Man I bet you are sick of those colors as I am already and I barely have started! haha. Like I said before, not a huge fan of this years combo, but it isn't the colors that matter so I will bite my lower lip while I stitch.

yofi - Awesome scarves! I know we got a sneak peak at the finished one, but they always look better when they come together. The WIP is really neat. I never thought to combine houndstooth with stripes. And looking at it makes me think of why I never thought of it before...hmmm I'm stumped about the curling. I mean I could avoid it if I just started it but as far as fixing a curling issue with a WIP I can't think of anything that wouldn't add to the width. Well, except to knit another and put the wrong sides together and stitch up. But I am assuming there are a lot of better ways to fix that problem. Your scarf has been added to the "finished" mini-gallery  Wink

indigo_roses - Glad you found your yarn Smiley And really nice scarf! I love diagonals. I am probably going to have to make one for myself at some point. And your scarf has officially been added to the mini-gallery! woot woot!  Grin And yes, it sadly does seem like the more yards the scratchier. Though I just discovered the pound skeins that Lion Brand makes and they are way softer than the RH:SS. I haven't used them, but just by feeling the skein it was evident.

Jeesh girls, you've got to stop giving me ideas for other projects! My list is way too long as it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2011 08:33:51 PM »

Ohhhhh so many pretties!! You all need to stop inspiring me to start new scarves. I still need to finish my first!! Grin Grin

yofi - I adore your houndstooth design! It's looking great and I love slip stitch patterns. So much easier than carrying the yarn! Regarding the curling... is it curling at the sides or just the top and bottom? At this point, curling at the sides could probably only be fixed by picking up stitches and adding a border along the whole thing. W/ stockinette patterns I usually add a couple stitches of garter on each side of the pattern to prevent curling.

That said, I have a bunch of curly scarves and I really love them so if I were you, I would embrace the curling and not worry about changing a thing Smiley.

indigo_rose - yours is looking marvelous. Oh how I wish I could crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!
I'm giving away doggy bow ties on my my blog! Check it out here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terra McVoy Talks About Pure
Meet Fitness Guru Susan Powter
A Taste of Colored Water Book Trailer
Meet Author Josh Frank
Michael Meyer Talks About The Year That Changed The World
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...