A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 Special Olympics USA Scarf Project Craftalong-CLOSED  (Read 22263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yofi
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011 10:05:56 AM »

"The Craftster Diet" -- I love it!  And it certainly works for me -- crafting time is also time I can't smoke, which is all to the good as well.

Best wishes with the migraines, Alisha; I know they can be really debilitating. I never found the proper combo either, when I used to have them -- I settled for meds that simply knocked me out.

Here are two in-progress shots of the scarves my mother and I are working on.

The top one is a simple garter stitch, with irregular bands of color.  I've started weaving in the ends (my *least* favorite task!) and it's going very quickly.  My mother's enjoying it.

She had been working on the second one (we switched last weekend) but I'm not so sure about that one.  I thought it was a clever idea at first, but it's knit as a tube, and the stripes are done Fair Isle style, so it ends up being four layers thick.  My sister pointed out that it's too thick to tie, maybe even too thick to wrap round your neck!  I may end up salvaging the yarn for a much simpler idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011 10:15:13 AM »

I can sympathize with the migraine situation...I FINALLY found a med that got rid of the really wicked ones, and then they quit producing it!  Cry

My scarf making has temporarily halted while I get a head start on some Xmas gifts and items for the 'Random' swap.

(I need more yarn too....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011 10:33:41 AM »

I managed to get halfway through a scarf this weekend...started the other half this morning...literally, the scarf is half red, half blue...but the pattern is really a nice one once you get it going (lots of frogging since I just kept losing a stitch!)...

I love a diagonal pattern...too bad it is too thick...I believe I have one that is just one layer and all garter stitches...I am not sure how to change colors with it, so I will have to play around with it...

Hopefully I can take an in progress picture since Alisha says that is ok! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2011 11:20:33 AM »

I made some progress on my scarf Sunday, till I figured out the striping pattern and working w/both ends of the skein was not going to work to my advantage...and I hate hiding ends, too, Yofi...so I frogged back a little and started w/a two row strip to keep finishing to a minimum!  Wink

I'll have a pic up shortly...=]
hope all are well and enjoying a little stitching! =]
Yofi...I like the ones you posted...and I can't tell about the diagonal one being too thick from here...=] It looks great!

here's 10/50" of scarf...

the next 30" is rib stitchin' in red... Tongue  I'll do it while watching Big Brother this week...=]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011 05:57:04 PM by Kittymom13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2011 07:39:43 PM »

I love seeing the in-progress shots! It's great motivation and all of the projects are looking marvelous!!

Weaving yarn ends SUCKS! I'm glad that I'm carrying my yarn up the sides for my pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2011 07:52:28 PM »

Here are two in-progress shots of the scarves my mother and I are working on.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/73411_15Aug11_altered_book_011.jpg

The top one is a simple garter stitch, with irregular bands of color.  I've started weaving in the ends (my *least* favorite task!) and it's going very quickly.  My mother's enjoying it.
My scarf looks weirdly similar to yours, but with irregular bands of drop-stitch. I've been going from project to project since i finished, so i haven't done any end-weaving yet... It's my least favorite, too!
I still need to get a picture of the whole thing, but here's a crappy in-progress i took after half of a softball game's worth of work:

I started on one of those argyle scarves somebody posted a link to earlier (sorry, too lazy to find out who Wink), but my crochet colorwork needs a lot of work... Not sure if i'll continue. I'm only 10 or so rows in, so maybe i'll do some practice and start over... I don't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2011 08:28:29 PM »

I have updated everyone's WIPs on the first post  Grin  Looks like we've got quite the little craftalong going on here!

evilSabina - Ugh, sucks doesn't it? I have been battling them my whole life and what set me over the edge to finally get on preventative meds was a trip to the ER. They gave me 5 different meds, a shot, and morphine. Nothing worked. I keep ginger chews in the house. Not for migraines, but because I like them. Maybe it would work... and yay to ice cream  Cheesy

alwaysinmyroom - Congrats on the weight loss! I am bad at self control, so I sit back in awe when others can have self control. I recently lost weight, but I had a hard time during a breakup. Now I tell people that the best way to lose pounds quick is to go through a breakup  Tongue  Roll Eyes  If you ever find that pattern let us know. It could come in handy. And of course WIP pics are welcome! Encouraged even!

Saqabub - Welcome  Grin  Sadly Red Heart is a requirement as craftADDchick pointed out as they are the official sponsor (I would like to know exactly what they are sponsoring because I haven't seen any skeins show up at my door  Wink  Cheesy  ). I, personally, have found luck at Walmart. If worst(ed) comes to worst(ed)  (haha sorry couldn't resist), you can always order it online as I believe LimeRiot(?) had to go that route.

yofi - Awesome scarves! I like the candy cane striped one a lot. Shame it turns out so thick or else I would make myself one. Glad to hear your mother is still enjoying the knitting. Thank you, they are awful indeed. Ugh, yes, I totally understand meds that knock you out. A few months ago I fell asleep in the parking lot of JoAnns(right before I was going to go in) from one of my meds. It looked like there was carbon monoxide leak. Cheesy

Miss Barbara - That's not cool!  Angry Man it would be like inventing chocolate that you could eat as much as you want and never gain weight...and then taking off of the shelves. I have gotten a head start on xmas too thanks to Borders.

Kittymom13 - Great scarf! Can't wait to see it with the red.

bananaleg - Sweet scarf! I have only had experience once with dropped stitches and they were crossed. I never did finish it...hmmm. Ah yes the beloved argyle scarf. I haven't decided if I am going to continue on that either. Done just enough where I wouldn't feel icky about frogging it.

Ditto to everyone who agrees that weaving in ends just plain sucks....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011 08:29:06 PM by AlishaMisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2011 10:02:05 PM »

Oooh, I want to join! Anything beyond gathering of materials may have to wait a bit though, as I have two big swaps coming up. But I'm sure that I can fit in a few inches of crochet here and there! I like making scarves, I just don't have people to make them for. Now I've found my people! Hopefully I'll be able to find the colors. Luckily, I have a Wal-mart, JoAnns, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby all within 20 minutes of me.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2011 11:38:02 PM »

Welcome indigo_roses! Don't worry about it, we would love to have you join in on the fun either way.  Grin I still haven't made anything yet because of swaps and other jibble-jabble. It is going to be harder too when the holidays come for most of us who craft for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011 05:07:43 AM »

kittymom13--I love the tiny stripes!  I think I want to do one with thinner stripes as well!  I am about halfway through the other half of my two color scarf...I actually bought yarn to make the pattern for myself out of different yarn! Cheesy

Pics tonight I hope!

I think when October and November hits, everyone will feel more like using yarn! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Storyteller Sculpture Part 2
How to Make a Storyteller Sculpture Part 1
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 3
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 4
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...