A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 Special Olympics USA Scarf Project Craftalong-CLOSED  (Read 22913 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011 12:28:16 PM »

Sooo guess what I found.... remember that weave that I thought was crocheted? Well it may not be crocheted but it is knit! It's callled the Wicker Stitch. Patterns and examples found here and here. Can you tell I was bound and determined to find a way to make that?

bananaleg - I don't know what it is but I am in love with knitting on planes. Probably because I have an unhealthy obsession with commercial flying and crafts. For some reason my plane trips lately have been knitting while watching marathons of House. Which is weird that House marathons just happen to be on right when I'm flying.  Tongue

alwaysinmyroom - glad you finally got your yarn! And my word! You made that scarf fast! I love it! I am way faster at crocheting than knitting so I may do the majority of my scarves in crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011 04:17:04 PM »

Thanks for starting this thread and motivating us, AlishaMisha!  I figured I better jump in quickly, since I've already started.

I went out and bought a skein of each color the day after I saw this thread, and started a probably overly ambitious tube scarf, with spiralling stripes like a candy cane.  I took it with me to visit my folks last weekend.

My mother had a stroke a few years back, and it's limited a lot of the things she can do.  She ends up sitting and brooding too much. She's been thinking about trying to pick up some craft, so's not to lose all finger dexterity, and to give herself something to focus on -- her attention span has always been pretty short, and now it's even worse.

I got out the scarf and was knitting while we talked, and she suddenly asked if she could give it a try.  I was blown away that -- despite having only knitted one pair of socks over 60 years ago -- she started knitting away like a pro, with no hesitation.

She insisted I leave the scarf, and start one of my own.  Which I have (a much less complicated one!)  When I go home this weekend, we'll compare, and maybe even trade off for a few weeks.  (The spiral one is going to take a reeeeealy long time, and I don't want her to get bored!)

Just wanted to let you know, this project is already benefitting someone!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011 12:41:19 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011 05:20:10 PM »

What a nice surprise, yofi! She might find that knitting is just the thing to keep hands and mind occupied!

I finished my second one...just a simple garter stitch scarf....

Third one is a seed stitch with random stripes....almost done!

So one skein of each will make 3 scarves!

Now that the "pressure" is off, (self-imposed!)...I will try some more challenging and fun stitches...I love that wicker stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
AlishaMisha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011 07:24:27 PM »

yofi - Welcome! What an inspiring story about your mom! Brought a tear to my eye. And your scarf sounds neat; can't wait to see it!

alwaysinmyroom - You are a quick little thing aren't you?!  Cheesy Not just with these scarves but with the 50 projects in 2011 as well. You're like the crafting version of Dash (from The Incredibles). I wish I could be that fast! I've had to slow down on knitting and crocheting as I have Ulnar Nerve Damage in both elbows that acts up frequently. Trying my best to avoid surgery with 12" incisions in both arms   Shocked  I am cringing just thinking about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011 09:03:44 PM »

Ick!  I am on a weight loss program that encourages you to keep your hands busy! Cheesy 

I do have to stop and stretch but I do love knitting while watching TV!

Last year I got carpal tunnel in my wrists and was yelled at so I do have to be careful not to overdo repetitive motions! Cheesy  BE CAREFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
AlishaMisha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011 09:56:36 PM »

Well that is a good idea! Hmmm so I should craft when I feel like boredom eating. Will try!

Yes, TV is a must for me. It's also a great way to clean up a lot of space on my tivo without feeling like I have to sit through it. I can go through hour-long shows back after back and I hardly notice it had been so long. Helps with my ADHD too because knitting at times isn't enough for my mile-a-minute brain, so I need something to occupy it.

Ugh, it's frustrating huh? When I knit I tend to get pains shooting down my elbow down through to my fingers from the repetitive motions, though slowing down seems to help a little. It literally feels like I stuck my fingers in the outlet, but over and over again. It felt different the first time it happened though. Anyways it's the nerve you hit when you hit your funny bone...except it's not so funny  Undecided  I will be careful, and you as well! I am trying to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011 06:22:37 AM »

I am going to get more yarn to take on my out of town trip. I am sure I will have some time to knit or crochet at the beach... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011 06:40:41 AM »

Holy cow! At the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky if I finish up one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011 06:55:52 AM »

ha ha uhm, notice my username?  I actually live up to mine! Wink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011 03:01:23 PM »

WoW! Alwaysinmyroom....great scarf!!  Easy pattern, too!  I was thinking of shells, too, but hadn't gotten that far!  Cheesy
...did finally buy two skeins of yarn last week...won't get to them til next month, tho...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Christmas Sachets
How to Make Face Paint
How to Make Edible Body Paint
How to Make a Paper Gift Box
How to Make Handmade Christmas Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...