A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2012 Special Olympics USA Scarf Project Craftalong-CLOSED  (Read 23368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011 07:37:56 PM »

Such a cool idea! Anybody else wish they weren't so strict about requiring Red Heart, though? It's cool of them to sponsor & all, but acryyyyyliiiiiiic Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlishaMisha
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to Epcot I go!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Active Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011 07:58:42 PM »

ollieorange - woot woot!  Grin It doesn't need to be! The whole point is just to put a smile on someone's face and to let them know that that we care and that they are proudly wearing scarves just like everyone else in the US  Smiley

sunshineravioli - I see why they do it, to be consistent on color and the cheaper the yarn and more yardage the more scarves they are likely to receive. But yeah, Red Heart is not my first choice as it is a scratchy acrylic. Though I have nothing against acrylics at all as I use acrylics all the time(big Vanna's Choice fan over here. Can I get a "holla!"?  Tongue Cheesy). Actually my biggest beef isn't so much the brand as it is the color choice. I am not a real big fan of the combo, but it's not a huge deal to me as it is obviously not for me, but if I had it my way I would love something a little easier on the eyes. The White & Blue year was nice and I liked the Red & Grey too.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011 08:04:12 PM by AlishaMisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011 02:48:24 PM »

Thanks, Yeah I know it doesn't have to be the fanciest, but I think they deserve the BEST! I was out shopping today but forgot to bring the list of colors. I'll be starting soon though. Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlishaMisha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011 06:30:33 PM »

Indeed they do, but the best means YOUR best not THE best  Wink

I was out and about today at lunch with some friends and remembered that the store across the street(a Maine business) sells Red Heart. I went in, but they only carried the Cherry Red. I held off just in case I go somewhere that has the blue as well and a 2/$5 deal or something like that. At least I know that somewhere has the red so I have that peace of mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011 07:25:54 PM »

When I was at the store to  get my yarn, they had the soft navy in a super size skein (for $7.99!), but I looked up at the top rack and saw some in the regular size. I had to use a package of frame sections to poke one of the skeins out of the rack, and it dropped right into my arms (and didn't even bounce off of my face first Grin ). I was in Wal-mart the other day and they didn't have the soft navy (but their yarn selection was pretty lame).

And, I figured out what I'm doing for my scarf pattern! I'm going to try a technique called woven crochet! Hopefully, it works up quickly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
AlishaMisha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011 08:50:58 PM »

Haha your yarn story reminds me of almost all of my shopping experiences...but usually will big, hard items  Cheesy  I am 5' 4.75"(5'5" basically) which is a little on the shorter side, and in addition to that I have to help my mom who is 5' all the time for things. And I totally know what it is like to suddenly get all cavewoman-like and start finding tools around to help. Ah, glad to know I am not the only one. Thank you for cracking me up!  Cheesy

Btw, just googled woven crochet, beautiful! I need to learn that. Never even knew about it. Shameful, Alisha, shameful. (Okay Alisha, you need to stop talking to yourself because these awesome crafters you have known and loved for years will begin to think you are more crazy than they already think you are...)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011 08:52:01 PM by AlishaMisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011 09:45:16 AM »

I'm 5' 1 1/2" so I always have a hard time reaching things on the top shelf- the grocery store is the worst! They need to add a little step on the edge of the bottom shelves Smiley

I saw this post and it reminded me that I had seen it in the Crochet Master Class book. I knew I wanted to try it out, and a scarf seemed like the perfect project for it! I think I'll make the mesh out of red and then use mostly blue for the weaving (maybe I'll do a couple of rows of red). I'm sure I'll have plenty of yarn left, so I may make a second one in the reverse color combo. And, if I have enough for a third, I may try getting funky with some striping in the mesh part. I just need to double check the dimensions before I start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ollieorange
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011 08:33:19 PM »

Ohhh, that woven crochet is beautiful! I think I have a pattern around here (somewhere) for a knitted technique with a similar result.
I'm going to get my yarn tomorrow Smiley!
I also printed off some of the fliers on the Facebook page to hang up around town.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 08:34:07 PM by ollieorange » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlishaMisha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011 09:18:30 PM »

Ah yes, the fliers, I should put that in the quick reference guide to encourage others to spread the word. I want to spread the word about it to my Sit-n-Knit group but we didn't meet tonight because of the holiday, so maybe next week I will mention it if I remember it among all the talking we do. We have had so many injuries and illnesses in our group lately that my mind has been elsewhere while I am there.

I can't tell vary well, probably from the yarn, is this woven crochet or something else?

Also while doing a google search on it I ran into a crochet weave which I thought looked real neat. Another must do on my list.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 09:19:03 PM by AlishaMisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011 12:19:47 AM »

I didn't even know about the Special Olympics scarves until it was too late for 2011, but I've been thinking about making some since I learned about it. Hopefully I'll have time to check Jo-Ann before I leave for vacation this Friday. Just need to decide on a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is a Timelapse Video
How to Stage a Hit and Run Using Special Effects
How to Make a Head Explode Using a Green Screen
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: Hugo
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: My Week With Marilyn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...