A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Surfboard - Hawaii cake  (Read 607 times)
Tags for this thread: cake_decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

munchkinarooo
« on: June 26, 2011 12:34:42 PM »

This last week was my sister's birthday and since she loves surfing, what better than a surfing-themed cake?
I came up with the idea when I found this awesome post http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=350061.0 some time ago and I enlisted the help of my mother who, although a great baker, had never decorated a cake before.

Since this was our first time working with fondant we didn't know quite what to expect, luckily my mom (she ended up in charge of this part) managed to manipulate the stuff wonderfully.

Our cake was a basic yellow cake which we coated with "bramble" jelly in order to cover it with the fondant. Since we clearly didn't have a surfboard shaped pan we ended up making one in a 9x13 pan and a square 9x9 pan. The former serving as the main body of the cake and the second one being cut up into triangles to make the front and back.

As far as decoration goes we mixed up gel food-coloring and water and painted in a previously outlined combo of hibiscus flowers and funky stripes (this was my job) using yellow, orange, red and green. For the letters we used a small tube of pink icing we bought. After that the fins were molded with fondant and applied using water and later slightly painted with the coloring.

Finally to present our ginormous cake we used a large tray which had been protected with foil first and afterward (as is suggested by the link above) covered with a mix of light brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon to give the appearance of sand. When it was time for the cake to be brought out we picked a couple of hibiscus flowers and along with the eighteen tea-lights celebrated in style.

I'm glad to say that the cake was a success and the birthday girl was very surprised. Also even though most other times I've tried fondant it's been disgusting this one was actually pretty good even if extremely sweet.

Pics:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend of mine that we met in Len whos father was older than him that and had a washing machine that a guy had to fix, that guys second couisn that had a sister in law that had a grandmother that had a maid that had a friend that sold tofu. Well a neighbour of hers has what you lent me.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011 02:29:00 PM »

Cool cake. I hope your sister loved it, it is beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kristen Stewart Is the Best Dressed Woman of 2013
Personal Shoppers: No Longer Just For the Privileged
How to Deal With Love Handles
Underwear That Flatters Your Figure
Picking the Right Panties For Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...