A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am the princess of this dormroom!  (Read 11272 times)
Tags for this thread: college , canopy , bedroom , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilpaws25
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011 11:46:51 AM »

the red curtains combined with your slytherin scarf makes me think of the Hogwarts dorm rooms Cheesy Great job!

Hee! You caught that? I crocheted that myself and I didn't even think about that until you said something. |3 Thanks for the compliment and for making me nerd all over my bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bittersweet_symphony

geek is the new chic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011 12:55:53 PM »

This is WONDERFUL- I'm getting ready to move into my first apartment and this is EXACTLY the kind of canopy I'd kill for! A tut, pretty pretty pleaseCheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011 12:58:11 PM »

so cool! wish I'd had one of these in my dorm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FabricFun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Used to be FunThreads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011 03:25:12 PM »

Wow! Fabulous idea for a dorm room. I bet everyone is jealous Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SciFunk
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011 03:55:04 AM »

Oh my god that is awesome. I have had the same dream, and living in the dorms would've been the perfect time to do it! Looks like it would afford a bit of privacy, which you sometimes need if you're sharing a room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Makenna
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011 02:07:20 PM »

That looks pretty nifty Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lil Red Riding Hood
The Feisty Redhead Craft Blog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011 08:59:18 AM »

Why didn't I think of this when I was in college? Gorgeous AND practical!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riendedoux
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011 01:51:38 AM »

Oh my! I believe I just got inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilpaws25
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011 02:34:30 AM »

Alright! I'm going to try my hand at at Tut for this project. This is my first time doing something like this so please bear with me.

Here's what you'll need!

Ruler
Notepad
A big bunch of cup hooks
Fishing line
Tubes from wrapping paper
Gorilla tape
clear thumbtacks
3/8th" x 36" wooden dowels
Fabric in the desired color
Ribbon or other decorative fiddly bit for tying the curtains back
A friend to assist you

Now all these things can be bought at Walmart or a dollar store for uber cheap so it's college friendly yay!

First things first, bust out your measuring implement, be in yardstick, tape or bit of string, however you want to do it and grab yourself some paper. Gotta make notes so you know how much fabric to get.

Measure the width and length of your bed, tacking on two extra inches. Grab the gift wrapping tubes, tape them together, end to end until they're all long as you need. Be sure to affix the dowels to the back to give it enough support that it can hold up to the weight of the fabric and the stress of being pushed open and adjusted. You can get extra fabric to cover this up (Which is what I did) if you don't wanna be lounging and glance up and see exposed dowel rod. Lay it down on the ground.

Next, grab one of your cup hooks and lay it alongside your improvised curtain rod. Now cup hooks have a screw and then this round metal bit that braces against the wall, ceiling etc, measure from that to the other side of the rod, add six and a 1/2th inches to that and make a note. You'll need it here in a sec

Now! measure how long you want your curtains to be. Remember that measurement you just made? Subtract that from how long you want your curtains to be. Once you have all your measurements, go buy you sum fabric. Doesn't matter what color just try to avoid getting one that's too heavy for the rod to handle.

Make sure to get some extra fabric as well. This will be for loops at the top, if you were wondering what that 6 inches extra was for and for the valences at the top. For the valances, simply take the measurement for how long and wide your bed is for your fabric length and then make it 12 inches wide, be sure to leave room for hemming if you wish to.

For the loops, Look at how wide your curtains will be, make this extra fabric that long and 12 inches wide. Fold it over and measure out 1 inch increments to make some nice loops. This will help with the weight distribution of the fabric. Cut them out and lay out the fabric for your curtain.

Now you want two curtains on each side, so find the middle of width of your fabric and cut it there to make nice panels for the sides and the foot of the bed, heck even for the head too if you want.

Press your fabric and hem it, 1/4th of an inch from the top and 1/4th at the bottom, press again till nice and neat.
Position the loopies neatly along the top and pin them in place. Hand sew or use your machine to make sure they stay nice and secure. 

Now that the curtains are done, begin preparations for installation. Grab your cup hooks and place them in equal increments around your bed, making sure to two at each corner and enough in between to support your rods.

Speaking of the rod, grab it and slip your loops over it, making sure the curtains are nice and even and centered how you want it. Get a friend's help for this next part as it can be kinda tricky. Cut lengths of fishing line, about 6 inches, one for each cup hook. With you and your friend holding the rod up, tie it to the cup hook securely and snip off the extra line.

Make sure you have your curtains where you want them before you secure them in place!

Remember those valences you made? Grab em and those clear thumbtacks, secure them infront of the rod to hide it and the loops. Grab your ribbon, tie the curtains back and ta-dah! All done!

Whew...I hope this was helpful. If you guys are confused at all please let me know ok?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainbowsaurus

rip emmy & tilly <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011 11:32:19 AM »

That's an awesome idea for a dorm. Much thanks for the tute. I will definitely have to try this one out once I figure out a way to hang it up without tacks or anything (my college is super strict about how you hang things up)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists :3

Completed Swaps:
Bookmark Swap Round 3
Spell My Name Swap Round 6
Within An Envelope Swap

Current Swaps:
NONE
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Afro Punk Street Style
Best Skinny Jeans for Fall 2012
Apparel Tips for Looking Great In Photos
Kate Hudson Wows in a Sleek White Suit by Gucci!
5 Transitional Booties to Step Seamlessly Into Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...