A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stencils for Etching  (Read 876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goReptiles
« on: June 24, 2011 11:43:25 AM »

What is the best and easiest way to make your own stencils?

I tried, and apparently, I'm no good with the exacto.

Is there a way to trace the design on the glass and go from there, keeping the cream within lines?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011 01:11:07 PM »

If you have an image from a *laser printer* or a copier (this won't work with any other kind of printer), you can transfer the image by laying the image face down on the target surface and rub acetone (nail polish remover) across it. Put the acetone generously on a paper towel and rub it across the back.

You can transfer the image using the acetone method to contact paper, then cut away the parts you want to etch with an exacto knife. Rub the contact paper hard onto the glass so it sticks really well and there are no bubbles. That way you've set up a barrier for the etch cream to stay where it's supposed to stay.
Hope this helps.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mike Jordan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011 06:54:22 PM »

If you are going to be using a glass saw, the way I do it is to print off the design I want to cut out and then tape it to the glass with the wide clear packing tape. Then I cut the design with my ring saw. Depending on how big it is, I can usually finish before water has worked it's way under the tape and it starts to come lose.

I've also used a wood scroll saw to cut out templates in plastic and stiff cardboard and fiber board for when I wanted to cast frit (you have to be aware of dust when you use a scroll saw to cut out fiber board, but it's manageable). 

There are also template cutters that work. The Cricket works as do any number of sign cutters. You can find them for a few hundred on up. I've been wanting to get a sign cutter to cut out templates because it will cut thicker material than a Cricket will, but a lot of people use the Cricket and there is software you can get that will let you control it with  your computer so you aren't limited to the cartridges you have to buy for it.  This makes the Cricket a lot more versatile.

And if you can see through the glass, put your glass on a light table with the image underneath and trace it with a Sharpie fine point pen. You can make a light table using a piece of clear or translucent white glass on a frame with a light underneath it. Then place your image and the glass you want to trace on, on top of that.

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grandmabonnie
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011 08:21:11 PM »

I have ben etching on glass for a few months now and use my Cricut to make the stencils on contact paper (the old fashioned kind that has adhesive on the back) I then etch with my sand blaster... I starte out using armour etching crem, but the redneck wine glases that I etch are starting to fly soI opted for the sand blaster... So much fun... Here's  few pics of my glasses and other things... 
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/576962157gJDFxr?start=24
To learn about the Cricut and making stencils with it, check out  this you tube. I use my sandblaster and contct paper works just great...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXdpWGkT_GI&feature=related
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mike Jordan
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 09:13:26 AM »

Sorry for the duplicate post above. This forum runs so slow for me that I don't know if it's taken my key strokes sometimes. I tried to delete the second one, but they don't allow that in the edit mode.  Maybe the moderator can delete the second post?

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sphynxz
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011 09:50:05 AM »

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I'm going to make star trek etched glasses for my boyfriend's birthday in May, and I had no idea how to make the stencils stay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011 01:29:14 PM »

If you want to trace the design on glass, you can place the design behind the glass and use puffy fabric paint to trace the outline. The puffy fabric paint is a good enough barrier to hold the etching creme in place for as long as you need.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011 09:40:49 AM »

Here is the tutorial I posted a couple of years ago about how I used fabric paint as a resist for etching compound.  You can hold your image behind the glass and use a marker to draw out the outline and then fill in the areas you do not want etched with the fabric paint.  When the paint is dry, you can also use a sharp craft knife to remove sections you want etched, to clean up the image, or give sharper lines too.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=211082.msg2264466#msg2264466

Also, remember not to wash the dried fabric paint down the sink, or leave it on surfaces after peeling it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Study Hairdressing with Saco
How to Color Your Hair
Hair Care Tips by Garnier
How to Have Perfect Hair This Season
How to Take Care of Hair Extentions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...