A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Diaper Bag/Tote for a friend :)  (Read 1734 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

armywife116
« on: June 24, 2011 06:14:04 AM »

I've never sewn anything useable besides a wallet I posted here a couple days ago but I really wanted to make something for a friend up at Fort Drum, NY before her baby shower. I know she loves peaches and corals so I found 2 coordinating fabrics along with some acu fabric I ordered from a military supply company and the pattern for the bag (with some changes and omissions because there were some supplies I didn't have), which I found in Lisa Lam's amazing book, The Bag Making Bible. (i used the general pattern but omitted a few things because I didn't have the right supplies, or because I just wanted to lol. ie the ties on the front and back and the popper snaps on the sides and the other three pockets on the inside of the bag)

I'm completely new at sewing. I'm finally starting to understand seam allowances, darts, gathers, etc.

I'm sure it's been seen a million times here but I'm quite proud of myself for actually sitting down and getting it done.

it was a lot of firsts for me:

1. first bag for a friend
2. first useable bag, period
3. first time using a pattern
4. first time I didn't completely screw it up and have to start 200000000x over. (I only had to start over 10000x lol!)

hope you all like!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011 07:12:40 AM by armywife116 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011 07:15:59 AM »

For your first big project it's great!! I love the inside fabric & all the pockets.  Cheesy  I'm sure your friend will love it. Thanks for showing!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftysisters-sharalee.blogspot.com

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/
"Craft My Pet for Me Swap"/Partner/
"Fabric Art Journal RD 3 Swap"/Partners/
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/also Teesha Moore Patches/Felt Badges
armywife116
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011 07:24:32 AM »

thank you so much! Smiley i had a big stupid grin on my face when I finished just because I was glad to have finally completed an entire bag lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r.forslund
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011 09:08:31 AM »

youre bag is absolutely gorgeous!! honestly id pay for some thing like that. awesome work!!  Grin love ALL the fabric choices and all the pockets. great pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

armywife116
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011 10:06:16 AM »

thank you! Smiley it took about a billion  times for me to get it even remotely close to right but i'm glad i took the time to do it rather than just going out to a store and buying one. just feels a little more worthwhile:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011 12:43:51 PM »

This turned out awesome! My SIL does something similar with the camo blouses on my brother's base for navy wives. I started making my own bags too because I can't stand store prices and can never find what I've want.

But the main thing I'm learning is to slow down and walk away when I get frustrated. Took me awhile to figure out if I walk away when I get frustrated I can usually figure out what I was doing wrong and I use my seam ripper a lot less. Saves on the start overs too Wink That and making a "template" bag first with uber-cheap material. That way you're not ruining the good stuff Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

armywife116
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011 01:06:12 PM »

i always buy the red tag fabric at JoAnn for practice bags and it always helps me work out potential kinks except I didn't have any leftover red tag stuff so I just cut the pieces and started sewing lol

let's just say my seam ripper has become a dear friend of mine lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011 03:43:42 PM »

Nice job, especially for your first bag - love your pattern and your fabrics!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
AshtonagoL
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011 04:18:16 PM »

Looks great!  Love your fabric choices!  Looks like you're catching on very quick!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

armywife116
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011 06:36:12 PM »

Nice job, especially for your first bag - love your pattern and your fabrics!   Cheesy

Thanks! Smiley for some reason lately I've got a paisley/polka dot combo fascination lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Vocals in Audacity
How to Create Whiter Brighter Teeth In Photoshop
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Text In Photoshop
How to Create Scary Effects in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...