A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Guinea Pig Cage w/ Loft  (Read 2081 times)
Tags for this thread: guinea_pig  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elliot_anne
« on: June 23, 2011 07:47:31 PM »

This is the new cage I put together for my guinea pigs. They are so much happier than in their old, much smaller cage.

It's made from a coroplast base I cut and put together myself, and grids from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The ramp is made from a redwood fence post. This is my 2nd attempt at a cage (the first one was TERRIBLE). I also made the fleece floors on the 1st level and in the loft, as well as the guinea pig cozy.

Cage with the "door" closed.

Cage with the "door" open.

Looking into the bottom of the cage.

Looking into the loft.

C&C welcome!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011 07:48:25 PM by elliot_anne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011 02:04:23 AM »

Wow, a unique home for your pets, they don't know how much they've been spoiled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
dustbunnyodoom

Too many hobbies, too little time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011 09:01:07 AM »

Fantastic job! What did you use to support the lofted area? I currently have a similar cage for one of my rabbits and I'm looking to expand it after we move. I would love to give him a lofted area but my concern is that it won't be strong enough because...well...I have big buns  Grin

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011 11:51:06 AM »

Where did you find the coroplast? We've been looking for that everywhere because we were wanting to build another, bigger, guinea pig cage.  We actually purchased those little shelf thingys from Target and took them back because the edges on some of them were so sharp it cut a big gash in my finger.

This looks great!  Bigger cage is such a good thing for guineas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
elliot_anne
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 01:57:53 PM »

Here's a picture looking up at the bottom of the loft area. It's held up by the same grids used on the sides of the cage.

I got the coroplast at a store near me called Art Supply Warehouse. It comes in sheets 4'x8'. I had to cut it up just to get it home in my car. However, after making the bottom portion of the cage, a failed ramp, and a failed loft base, I still have a bunch of it left. I would totally be willing to send it as a swap item if someone wanted to swap. I'm not going to use it for anything.

As for the Target grids, I would NOT recommend those particular ones. Target has recently switched which grids they stock, and phased out the guinea pig-safe ones. The difference is the number of squares the grids have. The ones you buy at Bed, Bath, and Beyond have 9 squares across and down, which is safe for the guinea pigs. The Target ones now only have 8 across. I've heard there have been some tragic accidents with pigs getting their heads stuck and what not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011 03:15:47 PM »

yup I took those back because 1) I got cut 2) the holes were too big on a few of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
elliot_anne
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011 03:27:30 PM »

Yea, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kmart, and Walmart still carry the cavy-safe ones, I believe. But I think you have to do the online ship-to-store for Walmart (it's free). If you'd like to do a swap for the coroplast I have, I'd be happy to ship it. I have a 48"x27" piece, a 8.75"x48" piece, and a 14.5"x27" piece. The 48x27 is how big my cage is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011 04:18:52 PM »

Thank you! but we've still yet to draw out plans for our piggy cage. It's going to be quite a bit larger...we're looking at 4' by 3' or 3'by3' made of wood. I'm going to try and find a place around here that will have one that large so we don't have seams.

We thought the little snap grids would work for the piggy's, but our doggies thought they would work for them too! Grin  So we thought a wood frame with chicken wire or something like that would work.

Thank you though!!!! Kiss Kiss Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Arbiter From Halo
How to Draw Peanut from the Jeff Dunham Show
How to Draw Android 18 from DragonballZ
How to Draw Suigetsu from Naruto
How to Draw Bobby from King of the Hill
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...