A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bavarian Crochet Baby Blanket in Baby Coordinates  (Read 18862 times)
Tags for this thread: bernat_baby_coordinates , bavarian_crochet , baby_blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amber555
« on: June 23, 2011 12:31:38 PM »

While I was working on my first Bavarian crochet blanket I couldn't help thinking that it would look nice in Bernat's Baby Coordinates. (You can see my other Bavarian blanket here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380765.msg4505516#msg4505516). The white blending filament that runs through all the colours can be a pain to work with, but it does create a nice continuity as you change colours. For this one I used Baby Coordinates in soft mauve, soft blue, soft turquoise, lemon custard and sherbert.

Every time I begin a new baby blanket it's always my intention that I'm just making it to use up the scraps I have left over from the last baby project. And of course, every time I run out of a colour or two midway through and end up buying more. So having finished this blanket, I now have nearly full skeins of three of the colours and will someday have to find a new pattern to "use them up." Oh well, it was fun to work on and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I crocheted with an I hook (5.5 mm), which seemed large enough to keep the white filament from snagging on the hook and gave the stitches a nice loose feel. Once thing I like about the Bavarian stitching is it's very easy to change the shape of your piece simply by changing the number of stitches in your first round. The other blanket was made as a square, while this one is a rectangle. I got the pattern from the book Learn to Do Bavarian Crochet by Jenny King and it also includes instructions for converting it to a triangle, which would be better suited for a shawl than a blanket.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011 01:09:54 PM »

Love it! I've been tempted to pick up a book on Bavarian Crochet, it looks so cool. These are continuous stitches right, not motifs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber555
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011 01:40:47 PM »

Love it! I've been tempted to pick up a book on Bavarian Crochet, it looks so cool. These are continuous stitches right, not motifs.

Yes, it's continuous. The pattern basically has two different rounds that you repeat over and over. I can understand your concern, I have no patience for patterns that involve motifs. I just get so bored stitching them all together at the end.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Eamea
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011 02:05:09 PM »

Love this look!  It has texture and doesn't require motifs to be joined.  Nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Kamehi
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011 02:09:11 PM »

It's gorgeous :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A fashionista at heart, a practical gal by nature! Queen of crochet <3
BennuBird

I kissed a seal and I liked it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011 06:48:56 PM »

So beautiful! Thank You for sharing, I will have to add the book to my buy it list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011 04:05:33 AM »

That is so lovely.  I wish we had those kinds  and colours of yarn where I live.  A really beautiful baby gift.  I also like how there are no motifs and therefore fewer ends to finish off afterwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011 06:34:19 AM »

Very pretty.  I've never seen bavarian crochet before, I'll have to investigate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steph_patt
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011 05:53:36 PM »

What a cool stitch! I'm going to have to look that book up. Your blanket turned out really pretty!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011 05:54:00 PM by steph_patt » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyDoe
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011 10:33:04 PM »

This is such a gorgeous blanket! Smiley Roughly, how long did it take you to complete this project? I would love to make a baby afghan but always "umm" and "ahh" about it, because I know they take such a long time to make Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.daisydoe.etsy.c om
Adorable crocheted Amigurumi animals
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Motion 3: 3D Background Quick Tip
Motion 3: Random Mask Trick
Motion 3: Cool Text Trick
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...