A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue and White Striped Dress  (Read 2277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mouse123
« on: June 22, 2011 10:53:05 PM »

I started this dress months ago, but lost interest and put it into my 'to finish' pile.  Now with summer actually arriving, I've finished it and quite like it!  The fabric has tiny blue and white stripes on it, but it's hard to see in the pics.  I used miasu's contour bust pattern over at burdastyle (a free pattern!) for the bodice, and the skirt is just an a-line skirt with pleats.  The straps are just bias tape.  

And it has pockets!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011 10:55:08 PM by mouse123 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011 12:25:21 AM »

Very pretty! LOVE dresses with pockets...it's definitely a deal-maker Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011 12:56:15 AM »

Your dress is BEAUTIFUL! I saw it and thought, OOhhh what a pretty dress, I should make that this summer!! But I kept reading and realized, I've made that exact same dress. I used the same tutorial for the bust and an old pattern for the skirt, mine even has pockets with bias tape straps and trim around the top hahaha. I'm still completely in love with yours though! I guess great minds think alike. You did a wonderful job on your dress, it looks so professional!

Did you have any trouble with the center of the bust? I made mine for a friend and at the end when I was putting the trim around the top, there was a bit of excess only in the center. We ended up just folding it and hiding the mistake with a button or two. She does happen to have a low, far apart chest, so it may just have been the way it fit her, but I love the way this pattern looks but I've been hesitant to use it again because of that problem.

I posted my dress on craftster, if you're interested in taking a peak haha  Smiley
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=381448.msg4513480#msg4513480
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011 12:58:40 AM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
Katebl
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011 02:10:10 AM »

So cute x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Azura
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011 03:31:55 AM »

Ohh that looks great for summer! Cheesy It's so simple but so cute, and it looks really neat and professional. I've been thinking about making something like this for a while, now I really want to! Thanks for the inspiration Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011 07:28:04 AM »

what a cute dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouse123
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011 10:34:05 AM »

Did you have any trouble with the center of the bust? I made mine for a friend and at the end when I was putting the trim around the top, there was a bit of excess only in the center. We ended up just folding it and hiding the mistake with a button or two. She does happen to have a low, far apart chest, so it may just have been the way it fit her, but I love the way this pattern looks but I've been hesitant to use it again because of that problem.

I posted my dress on craftster, if you're interested in taking a peak haha  Smiley

I love your version!  I totally saw it earlier, but it didn't click that they were the same dress Cheesy 
I did have problems with excess in the center, so there is a center front seam where I took in an inch or a bit. I had completely forgotten about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillrbassett
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011 01:51:09 AM »

Haha yeah it took me a minute too. It wasn't until I saw Miasu's name. It's weird, they're the same dress but they look almost completely different! I'm actually glad to hear you had trouble with it too, it wasn't just me haha. Next time I make it I will definitely have to take it in a bit in the center. I'm always just so afraid of changing patterns since I'm pretty new at sewing, I don't fully understand how everything works, or have all the right tools for most things haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miasu
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011 03:01:56 PM »

I love your version!  I totally saw it earlier, but it didn't click that they were the same dress Cheesy 
I did have problems with excess in the center, so there is a center front seam where I took in an inch or a bit. I had completely forgotten about that!

Hey! So I know exactly what you guys are talking about. It can kinda gape forward at the center? This happens when the fit isn't right with the chest. Try tweaking the curve that creates the seam at the middle of the bust. You want to bring the sides of the top bust piece downwards to offset the gaping that happens in the middle. One way to do this is to slope the sides of the curve on the bottom pieces downwards. Also, try making the curve less severe, this will tighten things up and help the bodice fit better. This is very difficult to explain, so I hope this isn't too confusing to understand! Also, make sure you make very incremental cuts, because a tiny cut makes a lot of difference sometimes. Good luck, and sorry you guys had problems with the pattern >.< I know it's pretty wonky!

Also, both of y'all's versions look great! Very lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011 10:42:59 AM »

Whoa! haha I was very surprised to see your post Miasu. But that was a very helpful post! I am kinda new to sewing, so Some of that I didn't understand but I think I got the gist of it. The gap really wasn't a very big deal though, but i'm curious to see if it would happen if I made a dress for myself. My friend's chest and mine are pretty different, so hopefully I wont have a problem? If I do, i'll just use Miasu's tip! Thanks again for that!! I really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Manage Curly Hair for Men
Summer Hair Product Tips
Hairapy Ep 107: Jasmine
How to Get the Surfer Girl Hair Style
Hair How To: Kim Kardashian Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...