A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shaker rib gone wonderfully wrong..?  (Read 650 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpinningNickel
« on: June 22, 2011 04:14:03 AM »

Hullo all,

I've been making this cowl:
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4871&cps=21191 at a nice leisureley pace on my morning commute. Having never done a shaker rib before, and with a fairly small photo, I wasn't sure how it should look. I also have a bad habit of not reading patterns thoroughly enough before I begin, causing me no end of troubles!

As such, rather then doing a p1, k1BELOW, I enthusiastically embarked on a pattern of p1, k1BACK. This has created a really lovely, raised sort of twist on one side, and a flat plait-like pattern on the other. According to my more recent Google imaging, this is most definiteley NOT a shaker rib. I love the look of the twists for something like a cowl, so that's fine, but I would quite like to know what it IS. Any ideas?

Just a quick (not-very-good) mobile phone snap of the twists:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011 01:27:39 PM by SpinningNickel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandraco
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011 05:45:26 AM »

Forgive my ignorance (since I feel like I've only been knitting for two months) but what exactly do you mean by k1BACK? Do you mean through the back of the loop?

And if it is, wouldn't that be a twisted rib? Though it doesn't look like it, and considering it's different both sides, I'm guessing that's not actually what you did... unless you alternated rows and ended up with a twisted stockinette?

Suffice to say, I don't know either. But I'm sure someone else does. Smiley

And I bet it makes a lovely cowl... and that you'd like the shaker rib version just as much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpinningNickel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011 05:59:56 AM »

Yes, into the back of the loop on knit stitches, but normal on the purl stitches. As per the pattern, I would do, for example:

ROW 1 - k2, *p1, k1back* repeat * to last two, k2
ROW 2 - inc 1 (increases by k1 front & back), knit across to last 3, p2tog, k1
ROW 3 - k2, *k1back, p1* repeat * to last two, K2
ROW 4 - next row as row 2

Rinse, repeat.

I've been crocheting a LOT longer than I've been knitting, and am self-taught, which means I get easily lost when Google has no answers for me! xD

I think it is some crazy version of a stockinette (the flat side looks stockinette-ish I think, though it's hard for me to say without COMPARING to something), but I don't know if there's a particular name for it, or if I've just mucked something up (and thus perhaps invented something, whee)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011 06:32:55 AM »

If you did p1 k1tbl it should look like a twisted rib. Though since the knits are twisted on both sides, that may tighten it up so it doesn't look much like a rib. Does it look like ribbing if you stretch it out? I dunno if it has a name.

The Glossary at knittinghelp.com has most of the terms used in knitting patterns and many of them have videos - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
SpinningNickel
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011 06:46:04 AM »

It doesn't actually stretch very much at all. It looks a bit like a chunky ribbing from a distance, at least on that one side. On the other, it's completely flat, as I say.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a rummage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandraco
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011 07:19:49 PM »

Seems like it's pretty similar to a broken rib: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/brokenrib.htm

Since the two sides are different and it doesn't stretch like a rib.

I guess you could call it broken shaker rib?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011 07:54:02 AM »

Whatever it is I think it's a really pretty pattern Wink I think it'll make a beautiful cowl and it'll be personal to you.

Also, you should name the pattern. Whether it exists somewhere else or not, because you didn't learn it and instead just did it, you deserve to get to call it by whatever you'd like!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011 09:42:53 AM »

I think you came up with a variant of sand stitch. Or at least the stitch I've seen called sand stitch in some places (the others don't bother to name it) which is to k1,p1 on the right side and just knit on the other. It looks like the area around the cable in this doll blanket I knit:

In your pattern the knits are staggered and twisted, so you get mostly reverse stockinette on one side with dotted twisted knits and mostly stockinette with dotted twisted purls on the other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Doris Kearns Goodwin: What Are You Reading?
Vanessa Gezari: What Are You Reading?
Tell Me Why: Creative Writing
The Long Shadow by David Reynolds
Bloomberg Hits Back At NYT Claims Of Censoring Stories For Chinese Leaders
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...