A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower and Bee- My first embroidery... Do you want it?  (Read 360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: July 06, 2011 11:44:39 PM »

I am just learning, so I thought I'd try out my first stitches, which started with some french knots, which turned into a flower, and then just sort of turned into a picture Smiley

The stitches I tried were french knots, lazy daisy, chain, split, backstitch, stem stitch and satin stitch.  Hey, when you say it that way it sounds like a lot! Go me! Haha.  I was surprised at how easy it was.  But I would very much appreciate any feedback on how to improve my technique Smiley

Here are some close-ups because I love when people post close-ups of their work!  You can see my french knots are pretty irregular.. practice makes perfect though Smiley

The little bee:

The leaf- I tried out the dark green in 6 strands but the rest is in 3 strands I believe.  

Here are some questions for you experienced stitchers:
-What number of threads do you think is best to work with?
-Did I do the satin stitch on the bee's face okay?  I wasn't quite sure what I was doing!  You can see the lines are a bit haphazard, but I do sorta like the effect it gave to the corner of his mouth.  Heh heh!
-Another random question about satin stitch- is there a reason you go right across the fabric in the back too instead of just making a tiny stitch across the back that is right next to where you pulled the needle through to the back?  (MASSIVE points to anyone who understood what I just said- lol!)

By the way, if anyone wants it, they can have it!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 11:46:17 PM by pinkcatflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011 12:00:13 AM »

I think it's adorable Smiley And I'm in a cheeky mood so I'm putting my hand up saying I would love it Wink....I live in Australia, so if that's a problem I understand (I don't know where you live Tongue)

My husband calls me lozza bee, so it's kinda fitting.

Could I make you something in return?

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011 06:49:59 AM »

Very cute!

To answer your questions: 2 strands when doing regular stitches, one strand for satin stitch.  This is a great tutorial http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/11/satin-stitch-video-tutorial.html.  It's for padded satin stitch, so just cut out the padding if you want to do regular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
pinkcatflower
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011 06:13:11 PM »

Hi Oodelally! I'm in New Zealand so that actually is quite good! Haha.  I will have to think of anything I could swap for it Cheesy
I'm glad someone would like it!  PM me and we'll sort it out Smiley

Amigurl55- Thanks for your advice.  1 strand for satin stich?  That sounds like a lot harder work!  I see from the video that it is supposed to give a smoother end result so will try it!

And anyone who has any more constructive criticism or advice on my questions- hugely appreciated  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
GoldenGirl Book Trailer
Forever Young Book Trailer
Nina Malkin Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Author Jennifer Chiaverini
21 Nights Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...