A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone ever used RESIN to make a heel, sole, or wedge for a shoe?  (Read 3115 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2011 03:26:02 PM »

you know, like hooker heels? see thru resin, jewelry resin, clear plastic? i want to learn how to make a mold, use glitter or other things in the sole, and try to make soles for shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 10:04:47 PM »

if youd like to make a mold the best material id suggest would be silicon(you can get silicon mold maker kits) because whatever you make will be able to pop out. I havent done this myself, but if you could find a shoe that fits you the way youd like, with the right heel on it, mix your silicon mold stuff (alot of them come in two parts) and press your shoe into it until just the heel is covered. you'd probably need to build the bottom of the mold out so that it will sit flat while the resin is in it. Im guessing youd need a good amount of the mold maker stuff though so it could get pricey if you just wanted to make one pair...also you'd have to make one mold for each shoe because theyre clearly different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frankeknitter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011 09:47:59 AM »

I have thought about doing this down the road, let us know how it turns out if/when you do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011 06:20:23 PM »

thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frankeknitter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011 04:06:54 PM »

On the second episode of Project Accesory one of the contestants makes a resin wedge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011 09:03:39 PM »

they have been doing alot of shoes on that show! thank you everyone
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lidehtium
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012 05:32:55 PM »

Id say it depends on what kind of resin you use too. If it doesnt hold up, you could try putting a metal post down the middle for support. Maybe not the prettiest but if it keeps them from breaking..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glamboots
Uncommon Sense

The impossible takes a bit longer.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012 06:06:15 PM »

I agree with the comment about the strength of the resin material. As an engineer who has worked with commercial plastic castings in the past, most resin casting plastic that you would pick up in a craft store probably wouldn't hold up to walking, or even putting your weight on the heels, depending on how thick and high they are. The two-part casting resin (resin + hardener) also has a critical point, where if the amount of hardener isn't exactly what it is supposed to be, and I mean exactly, the temperature of the hardening is affected, which can fracture the heel when you first step on it, or somewhere down the road. Try to get a casting resin that's made for biological specimens. That takes much more stress, is usually clearer, but also a lot more expensive. But where do you get that? Try Carolina, or other biological supply houses; perhaps they can give you some technical details. Personally, I'd like to do this, too. I've made many molds for railroad models out of latex and silicone rubber. Check out Micro Mark for casting supplies, as you'll need a lot of rubber to do heels or whole soles. The stuff they have is great. It takes a lot of punishment. I've made replacement heel tips out of delrin and other engineering plastics, but never whole heels. Let me know if you're successful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really wanted to do it, you'd find the time.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Photos Outdoors
How to Photograph Pets
How to Photograph Kids
How to Photograph Objects
How to Photograph a Sequence
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...