A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can't afford to have my quilt finished at the store, need help doing it at home  (Read 856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bebedechocolate
« on: June 21, 2011 12:44:02 PM »

I made a big 70" X 70" quilt for my daughter. (well, quilt top).  I was thinking about having the quilting and binding done at the quilt shop down the street. The issues is that now their prices went up and for a quilt that size, the quilting and binding will cost meover $100.  I am willing to do it myself but I am sooooo worried about messing it up. Sad  I have a Singer Simple sewing machine that I hate but can't afford to replace right now.  Does anyone have suggestions for me?  If there are awesome tutorials out there for quilting and binding at home (without a fancy machine) I would really appreciate links. 

I have plenty of fabric so I could make a test sample quilt if I needed something to get the hang of it before I try it on her big quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!  I can sew, knit, and crochet.  I have a 9 year old who loves to do swaps as well so we can do a mommy/daughter swap package. Smiley
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011 02:38:44 PM »

Well, to start, have it priced out separately - you may find that it's cheaper to do the binding yourself and have them quilt the top. A lot of longarmers don't like doing binding, and it has to be done by hand, and takes hours, so that may be the expensive part.

Were I in your shoes, I'd see if I can find a walking foot - it's easier than trying to free motion, and produces a better look. You can stitch in the ditch between the blocks with little practice. The foot helps you feed things evenly, for a better look. There are loads of posts on here, and all over the internet, about using a walking foot to quilt - it's very beginner friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011 04:55:21 AM »

You have a lucky daughter.
I would make a practise quilt (lap quilt size perhaps?) and start practising your quilting. You will definitely need a walking foot. But straight lines are quite easy.
One tip I have is don't roll the quilt up to get it in where you need to sew it. That is most unweildy. Instead, just bunch it up and shove it under.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shout4joy
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011 09:08:07 AM »

I like to use gloves with grip for machine quilting on my dsm (domestic sewing machine). You can get Machingers or buy gardening gloves with grip. Make sure they aren't long on your fingers as that tip can get caught up in your quilting (not a good thing!).

some good sites:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/machine-quilting-tips-and-tricks.html
though I prefer to "puddle" or smoosh my quilts under the machine rather than roll them up...rolling them up is a pita

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-video/
I love this quilter's stuff

http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/how-to-machine-quilt.html
this one is pretty good for straight line quilting Smiley

JOY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011 11:14:20 AM »

One big key to machine quilting is to do a really good job of preparing you quilt sandwich first.  Your backing should be really taut on the table (or whatever surface you use), and baste well.  When hand quilting, I can compensate for a little slack on the back, but machine quilting is less forgiving.  A large dose of patience helps, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
shout4joy
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011 01:05:39 PM »

Your backing should be really taut on the table (or whatever surface you use), and baste well.  When hand quilting, I can compensate for a little slack on the back, but machine quilting is less forgiving. 

this!

I like to starch my backs as that seems to help them, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arianna Huffington: President & Editor-In-Chief, The Huffington Post
Homemade All-Natural Heating Pad
DIY Playdough with DIY Expert Tanya Memme
How Snow Globes Came to Be
DIY Snowglobe Ornaments
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...