A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Great Goats Milk Experiment (img heavy)  (Read 1378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2011 11:45:55 AM »

I have been curious as to why CP soapers would add Goats Milk into their soaps but I also have been reading that the Goats Milk can be extremely tricky to work with because it tends to overheat (when it overheats, it turns orange in appearance). So, what else could be done but an experiment using Goats Milk in CP soaping!

I did 3 one-pound of oils batches and used varying amounts of Goats Milk as part of the water content for making the lye solution.

My recipe:
Olive Oil: 40%
Walmart GV Shortening: 40%
Coconut Oil: 15%
Castor Oil: 5%

Liquid content was at 38%

All three batches:

The first batch I made was the green soap. I scented it with Green Tea FO. I used 30% water to dissolve the lye and added 8% cold Goats Milk (I froze it and then took it out of the freezer when I started heating the oils and mixing the lye) at trace. It's colored with a little bit of Green powdered oxide. I also tried the method where the FO and colorant were added to the oils and mixed before adding the lye mixture. After pouring it into my Pringles can mold, it went into the refrigerator for 48 hours.
I don't know why, but a couple hours after I had unmolded it, cracks developed on the surface Sad

My second batch was half water and half goats milk content. I dissolved as much lye as I could in the water, then added the goats milk (frozen) and finished adding the rest of the lye. The Goats Milk did burn and turned a bright orange color while I was waiting for the oils to cool down. Into my oils went a little bit of yellow powdered oxide and Energy FO. This, too, went into a Pringles can and into the refrigerator for 48 hours.

My third batch was 100% goats milk for my liquid content. It took absolutely forever for the lye to dissolve in the frozen goats milk, and though the goats milk was frozen and I had the lye mixing container in an ice bath, as soon as the lye touched the goats milk, it turned orange. However, this didn't really do anything to the final outcome of the soap as it merely turned a very light tan/cream color! This batch was made without any colorant and Yuzu FO and once again, I used a Pringles can mold and it went straight into the refrigerator for 48 hours.

So, yesterday I did the zap test on the soap (basically, you lick the soap to see if it "zaps" you and if it does, there is still active lye in the soap) and had no zap... sheesh... I'm a soap licker now! Hehe! Anyway, since I got no zap, I decided to do a quick test on how the soaps felt.

The Green Tea soap:
Dry, it felt kind of rough, like my usual batches do at first...

The Energy soap:
Dry, this one felt a little smoother than the Green Tea, but not by much.

The Yuzu soap:
Dry- ooh creamy! Kind of like the way commercial soaps feel when dry (but in my mind, I know this bar is actually a lot healthier for my skin). If I had the patience to do all Goats Milk in the future, I probably would be doing this all the time! However, I did get discoloration after I cut into this soap (it was a consistent color all the way through then the next day I noticed that there was some discoloration in the middle of some of the pieces). If I try this again, I will place the soap back into the refrigerator after cutting- maybe that will keep the soap from heating up too much and turning orange?

Another observation I made with the dry soap is that the soaps with the higher goats milk content feel a lot harder... I can feel some give in the Green Tea soap when I put a squeezing pressure on the middle, but no give in the Yuzu soap whatsoever.

All the soaps when wet:

When I went to wash with each soap, it was difficult to get a lather and the lather was rather slimy and ick-feeling. (I should have expected this, though, with how low a "bubbly" factor it got on the soap calculator). It also felt like it wouldn't wash off and left my skin feeling kind of sticky. So, I went online to see what was up and found out that soaps with high Olive Oil content get more of a slime lather and guess what! The Goats Milk also adds a bit of its own sliminess, too! So, I guess I should have done a little bit more research on how the oils react when used as soap Sad I was also advised to let the soap cure a little bit longer and then try washing with them again to see if any of the slimy lather goes away. So, I shall update on the Great Goats Milk Experiment in a month and see how the soaps feel when used at that time! Otherwise, I have a feeling that these soaps will be going into my first ever rebatch experiment! LOL! Gotta learn how to rebatch at some point in time!

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 11:46:35 AM by tcmatteson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011 11:55:48 AM »

The soap looks great! Although I boo the soap licking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011 10:11:52 PM »

looks fab-o..and welcome to team soap lickers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011 10:26:44 AM »

That was a fun adventure to read about!  I don't even make soap and I had fun reading about it.  I have been wanting to start doing soaps, but I just don't have room in my life (aka my apartment) for another type of crafting supplies.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011 09:35:44 PM »

Thanks for the wonderful comments, you guys ^_^ I had fun with this experiment!

jillybeans- if you ever do get the chance to try out soapmaking, I have found http://www.soapqueen.com/ and http://www.teachsoap.com/forum/ to have lots of useful information about the process and how to be safe when making soap. Another great alternative is Melt and Pour soap because you don't have to handle the caustic ingredient for making soap from scratch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011 08:48:07 PM »

Curious about your pringles mold... did you line it with freezer paper first? I have just done my first ever batch & am trying to resist peeking at them until the first 24 hours are up.
I also used pringles cans...not wanting to invest much $ in case I didn't fall in love with soaping...but I think I'm in love! I did end up lining the cans which was kind of tricky. If I don't have to line them...that would be sweet!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011 09:05:54 AM »

Nope, you don't have to line them ^_^ But the Pringles cans are one-time use molds (for me at least). If you look inside the can you'll see a curved line, if you cut on the line and rip the can going in that direction, it makes it much easier to rip the can to get your soap out.
And yes, soaping is incredibly addictive! Since I made my first batch (in March) I've been dreaming up more and more soaps! I now have more soap than I can use in a year and I'm jonesing to make more! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011 10:57:29 AM »

jillybeans- if you ever do get the chance to try out soapmaking, I have found http://www.soapqueen.com/ and http://www.teachsoap.com/forum/ to have lots of useful information about the process and how to be safe when making soap. Another great alternative is Melt and Pour soap because you don't have to handle the caustic ingredient for making soap from scratch!

Wow, thanks for sites and the information!  I really appreciate it!  ^_^  It is something I really want to try!  Maybe I will give it a try this fall for Christmas presents!  OOooo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
6 Ways to Look Great While Going Gray
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...