A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pet Peeve- lack of communication!  (Read 3909 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011 06:13:39 PM »

Amen, sister!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Alatarial
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011 04:51:57 PM »

The first swap I was ever in was a pet swap. It went well until about two weeks before sending... Then my dog was hit by a car and died. I was devestated, not just because I loved my dog, but also because she was my seizure alert dog. Up until then, I had contact with my partner every other day. But after my dog passed, I didn't contact my partner for about two weeks. I knew that the lack of communication was an issue and tried to make up for it by sending two extra items. I felt pretty bad about not talking about my partner.

What I don't understand, though, is how people think it's OK to not have communication with their partners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
tiffi_333
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011 05:28:00 PM »

My first swap sendouts have past and it was shocking to see how many people had really poor communication. I expected one or two people since my swap only had about 13 people in it total, but about half had horrible communication. One person just vanished right after partners were given, but the partner was silent as well so I didnt even know there was actually a problem. I understand when bad things happen or you get busy, then you send and explain, but to not talk throughout the entire swap for no real reason bothers me. One person didnt even tell me when they sent or received their partner had to tell me because I didnt get any response to messages (apparently because they went on vacation without telling me). It's not going to stop me from organizing swaps because i know this will always happen a bit, but its bothersome to have unhappy swappers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011 05:29:41 PM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012 01:39:19 AM »

I've found that I really enjoy organizing. I love the "getting to know" aspect of everyone a little more than just with one partner. I've found some very great people while organizing that I wouldn't have gotten to talk with as much if I was just in a swap and not organizing.  But the lack of communication really irks me too.  The first swap I organized, still fairly a newbie to swapping myself, I was much more "oh gosh, it's been 7 days and they haven't posted" but I've become more laid back, but still, when the swap requirements are stated "post once a week" and you don't even get a "I'm still here" or "I'm still crafting" it's quite frustrating.  It's also very frustrating to not get the "sent" or "received" messages that are vital to organizers. Or, to have to hunt someone down to find out if they've sent/received.  It makes a lot more work for us.  I know life can get busy, but like any commitment, I agree, take it seriously and keep up communication even if it is to let us know that the communication will be less for a while. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frugal Living Swap Rd 6: Waiting on Partners!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012 07:33:11 AM »

I guess I've been very lucky with my swaps (knock on wood!) I seem to get great communicators and senders, and it's been quite a while since I've had a flaker. I'm sorry some of you have had bad experiences organizing. I hope that you still feel that the benefits outweigh some of the issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
raewolo
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012 01:33:45 PM »

I try to check in at least once a week once the swap gets going. I'm not a super chatty person, and the discussion pages go fast, so I try to just pm back and forth with my partner. Also, I get kind of distracted once crafting starts so I'm usually not around Craftster much once partners are given. That must be frustrating for some partners of mine! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013 06:06:20 PM »

The first swap I was ever in was a pet swap. It went well until about two weeks before sending... Then my dog was hit by a car and died. I was devestated, not just because I loved my dog, but also because she was my seizure alert dog. Up until then, I had contact with my partner every other day. But after my dog passed, I didn't contact my partner for about two weeks. I knew that the lack of communication was an issue and tried to make up for it by sending two extra items. I felt pretty bad about not talking about my partner.

See stuff like that is hard, sometimes "life happens".   I have some spots of bad communication on my feedback because I got really really really sick and had a hard time even getting out of bed, I couldn't function well enough to type up a note to anyone on craftster, not dying was more of a priority than crafts!  I blew my ear drum in the process and was so dizzy I couldn't even see straight, I couldn't read at all for a long time, it was disorienting and awful.   But the feedback just ends up saying poor communication, without really explanations as to why that was.   It sucks because it tarnished my 'record' but wasn't something I could control.  Its also something unlikely to happen again (I hope!!).   

I also feel very left out in swap chats.  I feel like some people 'know' each other, and I don't, and I don't really have anything to share other than "yep I cut out some fabric for one of the swap items today", which seems weird to throw out there when everyone else is talking about things happening in their lives or something.    I've always been anti-social so its hard to jump into conversations once a week, even online!   

I always do my best when I put together a package though, and I spend a lot of time and effort on making something that I hope my partner will like.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013 12:38:45 PM »

I have some spots of bad communication on my feedback because I got really really really sick and had a hard time even getting out of bed, ...   But the feedback just ends up saying poor communication, without really explanations as to why that was. 

Have you asked if a swap mod, or the organizers, can add 'due to illness' to the comments?  It just seems to me that it's a helpful thing to know instead of just "poor communication"

I also feel very left out in swap chats.  I feel like some people 'know' each other, and I don't, and I don't really have anything to share other than "yep I cut out some fabric for one of the swap items today", which seems weird to throw out there when everyone else is talking about things happening in their lives or something.    I've always been anti-social so its hard to jump into conversations once a week, even online!   

Me too Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013 07:00:19 PM »

But those of us that seem to know each other may just be people who swap all the time, are truly chatty, or may have made a Craftster friend or two thru swaps and PMs.  I know that all three scenarios are true for me.  Sometimes, too, you might post just a plain, ordinary comment that may spark a discussion!  You've just got to put yourself out there a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...