A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thousands of crayons??  (Read 7090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ReDesigns By D
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011 11:13:06 PM »

I read somewhere about using a bit of melted crayon mixed in with homemade soaps to make crayon soaps (the poster had mentioned their child using them to write on the wall of the shower and it washed right off)  But, it does still require melting  Sad  Perhaps look into a school supply drive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why recycle when you can upcycle?  Totally open to personal swaps, even if we make different stuff!
Animemom
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011 09:05:34 AM »

You can make candles.  You take wax and color it with crayons.  If you use yellow, pour wax in an old cream carton, add ice to the hot wax, and it will come out as cheese.  Add a small mouse and you have a cheese candle with mouse included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Animemom
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011 03:48:49 PM »

I just found this...Make candles from crayons...
http://factorydirectcraft.com/factorydirectcraft_blog/rainbow-crayons/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightChaed
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011 07:44:46 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous suggestions of melted drippy crayon art. I made one for a friend's wedding and they love it!!! I want to make one for myself now, I'm totally jealous of your stash!

I put up a tutorial on how I did mine, if you decide to try it out. Post pics if you do!
http://birdheartsbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-melted-crayon-artwork.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011 07:18:52 AM »

I will definitely be doing some melted crayon art.  I might do one in that style (with them lined up along the top) as a gift for one of my sisters (a lovely gift for a new baby maybe?). 
I just donated another box of crayons to a back to school drive, but still have loads more floating around.  Keep the creative ideas coming!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Jess_
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011 11:54:13 AM »

There are sooo many things you can do with old crayons! I'd be having a heyday if I were you.

I really like the candle idea, but I'm a candle fanatic so that might just be me. If you have kids, you probably don't want tons of candles hanging around, although I'm sure they would make great gifts.

Another idea would be to frame them! Make a cool abstract art piece by placing them on the inside piece of a glass frame. Fit as many as you can, you can use all different colors or stick to a theme, and then put the cardboard backing on and voila - a neat piece of art.

Put them all in a see through plastic vase as decoration in the kids room.

Melt them down and make heart shaped multi-colored crayons for the kids at school on Valentines day.

Just a few suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Small town girl who loves to recycle, upcycle and rethink everyday items.

www.partselect.com
arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011 09:40:26 PM »

This is rather involved but I thought why not? It's another cool and useful idea for crayons. ^_^

http://www.suzyssitcom.com/2011/04/feature-friday-making-batik-fabric-with.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
adlp
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011 04:15:05 PM »

I like the idea of the batik with crayons, but think that melting all the colors at once would end up with having to reheat them over and over (I paint slow).  Hmmm.  Wish you could just color with them on the fabric and then dye/iron. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011 03:20:25 PM »

for batiking use a small tin tuna sized can and one or more of those $5 candle melters... I have also done actual paintings over plain acrylic paint by melting crayons and using a small spoon dripping them to build up an image and slowly changing the colors by adding new crayons, in this image I also wrapped thin silver colored thread around then painting and in some cases melted it into the wax
You can see it on my blog
http://artinmybag.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/painting-stringsattached-mid90s.jpg?w=370&h=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
chattyKathi
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012 08:10:08 PM »

I'm insanely jealous! I make art pieces with crayons. Here's an example:

Craftster image hosting rotated the photo for some reason but you get the idea.... I hot-glued the crayons to a canvas then heated them with a heat gun.

i was going to suggest this, you can also chop the crayons up and sprinkle them on the canvas and melt them with the hair dryer Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Transform Your Makeup Look From Day to Night
How to Apply Liquid Skin Illuminator to Look Younger
How to Look After Your Winter Skin with Elemis
How to Apply Smokey Eye Makeup
Is There A Natural Way To Plump Up Your Lips?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...