A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thousands of crayons??  (Read 6602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2011 06:04:56 AM »

So, I literally have boxes and boxes of crayons, only yellow, red, and blue (with some green ones floating about).  I have made a huge amount of sculpted crayons using moulds, but the thought of washing them, slicing the paper off, cutting them up, carefully putting the pieces into the moulds, letting them cool, hoping I don't break them when I take them out (having the re-melt them if they do, derp)... really doesn't sound too appealing (especially when I already made one thousand of them!). 

Does anyone have any suggestions/ ideas that I can use them for?  I will probably try to donate some to the YMCA and community centres, but I'm sure that even they don't want this many crayons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011 06:15:18 AM »

Glue them around an empty toilet paper roll or a jar and use fpr pencils, flowers or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
ecopp

Oooooo I can make that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011 01:21:56 PM »

I saw a cute wall hanging made of crayons the other day. They took and cut the crayons and cut them into small slices probably less than a 1/4 of and inch. Wrote the child's name out on a piece of paper and then glued the crayons with the rounded side attached to the paper and showing toward the viewer. I was thinking it would look very cute if you had longer crayons with paper still attached to line them up along the edges and use them as a Mat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps for TeeshaMoore Patches. Or doodads to embelish said patches.

Check out my Etsy Store
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ecopp
GimmickAndBeasties
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011 11:40:42 AM »

Do you remember those candy buttons that came on strips of paper?
You could fashion a bracelet that looks like that with the wax.
Use bubble wrap as the mold by piercing the back instead of the bubble part and use a tiny dropper to fill the bubble with melted wax (or maybe there's an easier way to do this...)
Then when the wax is dry, remove the wrapping and glue the wax buttons to some white muslin in rows grouped by color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gimmick and Beasties on Etsy
Gimmick and Beasties on Facebook

I've shot you Jeff. With a bullet made of Scottish finance regulations.
Gwynevere
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011 08:34:07 PM »

In reference to GimmickAndBeasties suggestion, couldn't you just dot the wax directly on the white muslin? Unless it leaked through or something. But I would try a test sample on just muslin first, with something underneath of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011 10:08:55 PM »

I like the recycled crayon crayon idea..just melt them in molds in the oven to make other crayons..

or send them to me and I can use them as an art project with my boys Smiley

when it was the end of a school year a few years ago I had a bunch of stumps..I put them on freecycle and they came in herds!! people love crayon stumps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011 07:56:18 AM »

I like the idea of using them, in full for some sort of art piece.. I have lots of different moulds to make new crayons with, but was hoping to find something else to make with them (I almost burnt my house down with melting crayons, don't ask me how but I nearly did).  I guess I should have mentioned that are brand new (or almost brand new) crayola crayons, with the paper still on them.  If that changes anything. 

Thanks for all the replies though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecopp

Oooooo I can make that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011 10:25:42 AM »

Cool so the Mat would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps for TeeshaMoore Patches. Or doodads to embelish said patches.

Check out my Etsy Store
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ecopp
Noura-hardy

it takes alot of dark to make the nighttime bright

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011 07:26:18 AM »

hello; you might like this technique. (pic above for demonstration)
It was somethingng my husband used to do.
  got a thick piece of cardboard
  covered it with melted wax
  covered wax with indian ink or any paint that won't flake
  took a little ticking needle (any needle with  BLUNT END)
   scratched through wax to surface of card
   this pic is black and red but you can do it any colour. He never tried wax crayon but it should work fine. I experimented with this and it and it is very versatile. I wish I had thought of melting down crayons!
  you can't see it in this pic but he end result has a lovely gemstone look. though of course the surface is fragile and can easily be damaged there is no problem if you get it framed, as this one. He loved this technique as he found it much more exciting than painting. I wish we had thought of adding crayon to the melted wax!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011 02:54:54 PM »

Melt them down for candles? Maybe add some paraffin?
Something I've never done, but have seen done is suncatchers/window art. Two sheets of wax paper, crayon shavings between them, laid an old towel over it and carefully ironed on low heat, just enough to melt.
Use them to make rubbings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Coupon code CRAFTSTER for 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011 07:51:23 PM »

If your looking to donate most of them you can try calling or Snail mailing Indian reservations poor schools are also good candidates for newish unwanted crayons. Just call around, someone will want them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sassykat
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011 12:17:31 PM »

I like the slicing up idea but using that to do a mosaic of some sort and of course with primary colors anything is possible.  Also it would lend itself very well to some kind of mock stained glass effect. 

I would definitely try to put some in separate lots on Ebay.  Some art teacher would probably love to have a box load of primary crayons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are what we pretend to be.    -  Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Why does "you have 0 unread personal messages" always make me just a little sad?
eccentrictulip
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011 08:31:28 PM »

I just taught a basic sewing and design class and one of my students made a wrist cuff out of crayon bits by sewing/hot glueing them to a bit of fabric -- it looks fantastic, I have to say!!  You could also make a fun crayon crown....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011 06:48:47 AM »

Wow so many more responses!  Thanks everyone..

There is certainly a bunch of good ideas, although I'm still now sure what I'll do with all of them still (I will probably end up some so that I don't have to deal with them.. lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BriShae

"hold on, a change may be just around the corner."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011 09:59:23 PM »

Make some type of photo and make a frame with crayons around it.. Line the crayons up and make a frame.. Think about it.. Smiley

---------------------
:                            :
---------------------

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011 02:51:11 PM »

I'm insanely jealous! I make art pieces with crayons. Here's an example:

Craftster image hosting rotated the photo for some reason but you get the idea.... I hot-glued the crayons to a canvas then heated them with a heat gun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011 02:55:19 PM »

sprinklez - that is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011 07:46:08 AM »

sprinklez I actually have been thinking about trying something like that!  Have you done the crayon melting on top of other paintings at all?  (If so, what type and kind of paint did you use?).  I'm not sure how some paints would hold up to being heated, but that could be interesting.  Although I guess you *could* melt the crayons before putting them onto the canvas,  I guess I will just have to experiment.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprinklez
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011 11:35:06 AM »

Thanks Trekky!

sweatereyes, I have not tried crayons over other paintings. That's an excellent idea though. I think something really cool would be to get paintings from a thrift store or garage sale or something and melt crayons over that! I can't paint so the extent of any canvas I painted myself would probably be a solid color background. It may affect the paint but you can test it on a small part or make a sample with the paint to test first. If I do something like that I will definitely let you know how it turns out. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yeamon
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011 12:59:57 PM »

I found this the other day and WISHED that I had crayons to make it.. its BEAUTIFUL! Hopefully you can do something with this:

http://manmadediy.com/chris/posts/1180-diy-idea-rainbow-melted-crayon-art

EDIT: Oh and this too: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2011/03/make-broken-crayon-monogram-wall-art/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011 01:01:10 PM by Yeamon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReDesigns By D
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011 11:13:06 PM »

I read somewhere about using a bit of melted crayon mixed in with homemade soaps to make crayon soaps (the poster had mentioned their child using them to write on the wall of the shower and it washed right off)  But, it does still require melting  Sad  Perhaps look into a school supply drive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why recycle when you can upcycle?  Totally open to personal swaps, even if we make different stuff!
Animemom
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011 09:05:34 AM »

You can make candles.  You take wax and color it with crayons.  If you use yellow, pour wax in an old cream carton, add ice to the hot wax, and it will come out as cheese.  Add a small mouse and you have a cheese candle with mouse included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Animemom
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011 03:48:49 PM »

I just found this...Make candles from crayons...
http://factorydirectcraft.com/factorydirectcraft_blog/rainbow-crayons/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightChaed
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011 07:44:46 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous suggestions of melted drippy crayon art. I made one for a friend's wedding and they love it!!! I want to make one for myself now, I'm totally jealous of your stash!

I put up a tutorial on how I did mine, if you decide to try it out. Post pics if you do!
http://birdheartsbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-melted-crayon-artwork.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011 07:18:52 AM »

I will definitely be doing some melted crayon art.  I might do one in that style (with them lined up along the top) as a gift for one of my sisters (a lovely gift for a new baby maybe?). 
I just donated another box of crayons to a back to school drive, but still have loads more floating around.  Keep the creative ideas coming!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jess_
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011 11:54:13 AM »

There are sooo many things you can do with old crayons! I'd be having a heyday if I were you.

I really like the candle idea, but I'm a candle fanatic so that might just be me. If you have kids, you probably don't want tons of candles hanging around, although I'm sure they would make great gifts.

Another idea would be to frame them! Make a cool abstract art piece by placing them on the inside piece of a glass frame. Fit as many as you can, you can use all different colors or stick to a theme, and then put the cardboard backing on and voila - a neat piece of art.

Put them all in a see through plastic vase as decoration in the kids room.

Melt them down and make heart shaped multi-colored crayons for the kids at school on Valentines day.

Just a few suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Small town girl who loves to recycle, upcycle and rethink everyday items.

www.partselect.com
arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011 09:40:26 PM »

This is rather involved but I thought why not? It's another cool and useful idea for crayons. ^_^

http://www.suzyssitcom.com/2011/04/feature-friday-making-batik-fabric-with.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
adlp
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011 04:15:05 PM »

I like the idea of the batik with crayons, but think that melting all the colors at once would end up with having to reheat them over and over (I paint slow).  Hmmm.  Wish you could just color with them on the fabric and then dye/iron. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011 03:20:25 PM »

for batiking use a small tin tuna sized can and one or more of those $5 candle melters... I have also done actual paintings over plain acrylic paint by melting crayons and using a small spoon dripping them to build up an image and slowly changing the colors by adding new crayons, in this image I also wrapped thin silver colored thread around then painting and in some cases melted it into the wax
You can see it on my blog
http://artinmybag.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/painting-stringsattached-mid90s.jpg?w=370&h=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
chattyKathi
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012 08:10:08 PM »

I'm insanely jealous! I make art pieces with crayons. Here's an example:

Craftster image hosting rotated the photo for some reason but you get the idea.... I hot-glued the crayons to a canvas then heated them with a heat gun.

i was going to suggest this, you can also chop the crayons up and sprinkle them on the canvas and melt them with the hair dryer Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
CindyKayS
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012 03:06:02 AM »

If you want to design with them, then color on sandpaper - fairly thick on the rough side.  Then turn the sandpaper over on top of fabric like a plain T-shirt.  Iron the back of the sandpaper (the smooth side), and the colors will transfer to the fabric.  You have to experiment some to get the heat right.  The thickness of the sandpaper and how thickly you colored on it affect what temp you need to have on the iron.

The melted crayon art works great by running the crayons through a hot glue gun - use the crayon in place of a glue stick to melt it.  It doesn't even ruin the glue gun - although I had to run an entire glue stick through it to clean the crayon colors out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizziebethboo
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012 06:48:50 AM »

Please be REALLY REALLY CAREFUL if you are planning on running them thru a glue gun.  I did that and after 10 crayons or so my glue gun sparked and burnt out.  Also if it gets clogged with the wax it will spatter out the back or front and hurts when you get it on your skin (baaaaaaaad crafty experience)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzythellama
Cooking

All hail the mighty llamas!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012 07:59:47 AM »

Hot glue them onto a large paper board. Then take a hair dryer and melt them. It should look like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I try to cook something, I end up eating it before I'm done.
craft_monster

Why buy something when you can make it ♥

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013 05:25:17 AM »

Melt them! I'm not sure how that art is called, but once in grade school art class we melted crayons and did some paintings with them Smiley) or maybe you can just melt them then mold them to something Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_odri
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014 02:29:54 AM »

You can make a curtain with all the colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftScar
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014 03:43:10 PM »

I like the melted crayon drip art.  I'm finding all kinds of things to make here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Hoppin John - Black Eyed Peas and Rice
How to make Salmon and Cod
How to make March Madness Chicken Wings
How to make Potato Salad
How to make Chicken with Tomatoes in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...