A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New skirt and rigged-out dress form  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread: dress_form , dressform , skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2011 01:42:53 PM »

After reading from quite a few larger sized crafties about how hard it is to alter a plus sized dress form to fit, I decided to go with an un-plus-sized dress form.  There was one on sale at Hancock Fabrics that only went up to about an 18 so I snagged it up.  I got her home, put her together, and the fun started. 

I had some 1 1/2" foam sitting around.  I used the pieces in a bit of a patchwork style until I had the whole form covered.  I still needed some major work, though, so then I got out the quilt batting.  I wrapped, and taped, and wrapped, and taped.  Once I had 2-3 full layers, I wrapped her in duct tape to make it a bit solid.  Next I used more of the batting around her until I got to the right size to add my (seriously small B-cup) bra and stuff it.  After that, I added some more batting to make the form fit my form - I have a waist all out of proportion to my hips.  If something fits my hips, it won't fasten at my waist.  If it fits my waist, it swims on my hips.  Who knew I was so askew??  LOL   Grin

Finally Miss Sophie the Headless Torso was done.  She was wrapped again in duct tape, covered with a tank top and then with a microfleece cover so she doesn't look so weird, and then I measured her to make sure she hadn't shrunk too much.  I only had to add a bit around the non-butt area (my form is adjusted to allow for my flat backside and round belly) to finish her off.  I tucked the microfiber in under the edge of the layer of foam that started the whole transformation thing and I was done. 

The skirt is one I have been meaning to make for a while.  I believe it's microfiber.  By the time I made it, of course, it was too warm to wear, so it will have to wait for fall.  However, it turned out well.  It has 8 panels or godets and then they flare out about 2/3 of the way down.  I don't think the fabric is happy with that but it will adjust with time and wearing.  It's Kwik Sew 3254.  I have used Sophie to make a muslin, alter, and cut out the pattern and fabric for a pretty top to go with it - Butterick 4469 - now I just have to make it. 

With tops, I have to alter more than the bottom.  I have narrow shoulders and wear a B cup so almost every single plus size pattern is not going to fit me.  If I fit my tummy, it's huge on my boobs and shoulders.  If I fit my boobs and shoulders, it won't close on the bottom.  Fortunately, Sophie and a good supply of muslin should help me with that.  My garments will take a little more time and work, but to have clothes that fit will be well worth the effort.

Trisha

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011 02:04:20 PM »

After all that work I hope you get some stunning clothes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Roxyqueen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011 05:36:09 PM »

Great job! But you needn't have gone to all the trouble of rigging out the dress form--you could have just used me for a body double.   Smiley I feel your pain on plus-sized busts. I never come *close* to filling them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Prepare a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Cook the Shrimp and Beurre Fondue Sauce
Learn how to Make Grits for Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Make Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Plate the Chicken Breasts with Grits and Orange Remoulade
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...