A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little felt elephant  (Read 1622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 14, 2011 06:52:05 PM »

I thought I'd make a little something for a friend's new baby.  I made it from a pattern in a calendar called "Get crafty".  I eliminated the seam allowances (as it was designed to be machine-sewn) and stitched it together by hand in felt with a whip stitch. 

I think it came out okay but as a beginner I know there's room for improvement (for example my stitching was a bit loose in some areas which let the stuffing show through). 

Does anyone have any ideas for how I could've made it cuter?  I was thinking there may have been a way to make the eyes more cute.  I'm of the school of "no such thing as too cute".  Heh heh.

Thanks for looking!

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011 07:34:43 PM »

Too cute! I love it! Cheesy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011 10:59:50 PM »

He's cute as is! I like his eyes a lot the way they are.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 06:33:01 AM »

Completely adorable! I love the eyes, and the way you stitched him. Now i will have to search and find that calendar! Smiley

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011 06:45:39 AM »

very cute ^^ You could perhaps give him a bow or sew a little heart on his behind ^^

My blog about crafts and photography
My Facebook and Etsyshop
I really want to start making fairy jars!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011 07:26:05 PM »

Ooh the bow idea is cute, I could put it next to an ear or maybe over the tail!  And I like the idea of a little heart too Smiley

Jackielantern- The publisher of the calendar is The Ink Group, and the ISBN is 978-1-921554-85-8.  Hope that helps.  I also made this stuffed dog from it:

And next I'm going to make a cute stuffed owl.  The rest of the projects are a bit ho-hum though in my opinion.. (either that or involves knitting which I can't do)
Oh and one last word- mine had a misprint stating seam allowances weren't included for the patterns.  They ARE.  This caused me grief, I tell you!  Well just a heads up! Smiley

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011 03:39:58 PM »

I think he's pretty cute!!!  Wink I like his eyes. You did very good on the stitching & will get even better the more you make. How about him holding something in his nose, a flag or remember Dumbo he had a cricket friend that hung on him. Another Idea maybe make the underneath a different color, & maybe a hat!! You did so well. Can't wait to see the next one. Your dog is very good!! Thanks for showing. Cheesy

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011 06:10:50 PM »

way cute.
I like the heart idea - maybe on his bum, like care bears have? Or you could give him something to hold in his trunk (a flower? a pencil?)

I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011 08:48:01 PM »

Holding something?  How cute!  Does anyone have any info on how to make his trunk curl around something?  I've never inserted wire in something before (assuming that's what you do)

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 4/13
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 9/29
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 11/13
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...