A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me I am not wrong!  (Read 888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 19, 2011 11:04:41 PM »

We are in the midst of renovation hell, and have been for years, as we are doing this ourselves (DH is a contractor, but you know what they say about the shoemaker's children - same thing with the contractor's spouse  Angry ).

Anyways.  We have added a second story to the house, which was a pre-WW2 bungalow.  The main floor was livingroom/diningroom/kitchen, and a hallway to two bedrooms and a bathroom.  Walls were torn down and it is now open kitchen to living room, and our bedroom will be going to the second floor, which will have an ensuite.  It will be one huge bedroom and bathroom up there as it is just the two of us.  The smaller of the two bedrooms will be an office, and the larger will be the spare room/my craft room (YAY!).  The main floor bath will still be a full bath (toilet, sink, bathtub/shower).

That hallway is rather dark, and I want all the doors to be changed to french-style doors to allow light through and either etch the glass, or use translucent fabric to make panels for privacy.  DH is arguing that is not enough privacy - but really, it will only be us.  I could make something a bit thicker for the bathroom, but I would like light to be able to pass through from the large bedrooms when the doors are shut.

What do you think?

I would show pics, but really, our place is a hovel right now, and he's taking a cement saw to the basement to change to support beams tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011 11:51:40 PM »

You could add a roller blind to the bathroom doors if you need to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
ravenwitch
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011 04:09:47 PM »

Would it matter if the craft room and office weren't totally private?  I think french doors would be fine in either of these, especially with nice sheer curtains. 
The bathroom may be different.  If the curtains are thick enough for privacy, you may as well have a regular door.  Do you have room for an over the door window?  It would be high enough no one can see through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011 06:50:21 PM »

I know - but I wanted the same style of door for continuity as the doors are in close proximity. 

I saw at a garage sale today, some french style doors with beautifully etched and frosted glass, that would have given privacy - yes, shadows/distorted shapes probably could be seen, but nothing clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011 09:14:33 PM »

Watch all those British home dec shows on BBC and see plenty of interior doors with obscured glass.  Wonder if it's because sunshine is so scarce there? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011 05:01:06 PM »

Ok i'm coming late to this discussion, but If you decide to have kids, or end up with alot of company you might find the french doors don't provide enough privacy. If you went that route you would need something to add privacy when needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011 08:41:45 PM »

No kids planned - but we sort of compromised.  I found french doors with privacy glass that is very pretty.  You can't really see through them and they look fantastic.  Not terribly expensive either.  DH admits they look good, and I think he is going to agree on having them downstairs as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select With the Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Selection Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...