A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
852 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aboriginal Fabric Quilt  (Read 1604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2011 09:23:10 PM »

Late last year, my older brother was diagnosed with cancer. I decided to make a quilt for him. He loves the Australian bush and animals, loves travelling and generally just loves the outdoors. I had a small stash of fat eighths my mom bought in Darwin so I decided to go with that as a theme. I bought some yardage of fabric with genuine aboriginal patterns.

then I sent out fabric swatches to family and close friends and asked everyone to trace around their hand and to embroider their name on it. I ended up with about 20 hands, which I appliqued around the border.

Well, I think the results are stunning. the fabrics are just so beautiful. My quilting is pretty awful, but it doesn't show up much as the quilt is very busy. It also restful and the colours are really rich.

I had selected some bright orange/yellow for the binding, as that is the colour of my brother's bedroom walls. However, it was just too bright, so I used the wrong side in the binding, and I think it worked.

I call it his 'loving hands' quilt. I hope the love and support of his family and friends will seep into his dreams at night when he sleeps under it.
here it is in sunshine and shade. the colours look very different due to my crappy camera

Some of the hands on one side.

One of his friends added an extra finger onto his hand. I didn't even notice until I was sewing it on and thought '...huh?'

Some detail

The backing

Sorry to be so pic heavy, but I wanted to show off the magnificent colours in this amazing fabric.

Hope he likes it. I'll be giving it to him next weekend.  Cheesy
ps sorry one hand is upside down. The photo edit will NOT work.

the colours in the first picture are most accurate. the background is a lovely grey/brown, not at all blue-ish in real life.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011 10:30:16 PM by greeneggsandham » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011 09:41:56 PM »

this is beautiful, and so is the story behind it.
thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

I think that you are a wonderful sister for putting so much thought & effort into this, and it's great that you got a little piece of everyone near & dear to him to keep with him.

I can only hope that your "loving hands" are "healing hands" and as you said, the love & support will wash over him & help him recover. I've been in your position with my mom, my aunt & my grandmother in recent years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011 09:57:35 PM »

Absolutely fabulous quilt - I admire your work - what a lovely spirit you have too, greeneggsandham.  Thanks for sharing - I'm saying a prayer for your brother.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011 09:58:05 PM »

fantastic quilt, great inspiration and story, thanks for sharing and best wishes
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011 10:26:56 PM »

this is beautiful, and so is the story behind it.
thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

I think that you are a wonderful sister for putting so much thought & effort into this, and it's great that you got a little piece of everyone near & dear to him to keep with him.

I can only hope that your "loving hands" are "healing hands" and as you said, the love & support will wash over him & help him recover. I've been in your position with my mom, my aunt & my grandmother in recent years.
Thank you.  I hope your family came through okay.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011 10:28:15 PM »

Absolutely fabulous quilt - I admire your work - what a lovely spirit you have too, greeneggsandham.  Thanks for sharing - I'm saying a prayer for your brother.   Smiley
Thanks, fiddlegirl8!
fantastic quilt, great inspiration and story, thanks for sharing and best wishes
S
Thanks scrappysue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaurelShimer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011 12:44:45 AM »

How could those colors and wonderful designs NOT help your brother through rough times? I'm glad you found a way to make your own kind of medicine, and to involve your whole family too. You are a real inspiration for confronting scary situations. Thanks for sharing.My heart goes out to all of you.

Laurel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop by and check out my art journal, simpleromantic.blogspot.com, and listen in on my romantic-adventure time travel stories PODCAST, by searching for my show 'Unpolished Performances' in the iTunes store.
Jellybean74
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011 06:13:58 PM »

Amazing quilt!!  Thank you for sharing your story with us as well.  I'm sure he loves the quilt that you made for him.  It is so beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011 01:17:24 PM »

I love this quilt. What a great thing to do for your brother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eamea
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011 10:43:19 AM »

I like this pattern, and the story is just as sweet.  I'll bet he loved it, and I hope he's doing well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Coconut Milk
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
How to make Korean Bulgogi and Rice Marinated Beef
How to make Vegan Kimchi
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...