A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: whatever it was, it's now a cherished earring display :)  (Read 1175 times)
Tags for this thread: earring_holder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2011 06:37:00 PM »

oh how I wish I'd gotten before pictures!  But I'll do my best to paint a before picture <queue dream sequence>

wOooooOwoOOo WooowoowooOOOOoo... ...............

I have been getting more and more into earrings and have been getting sicker and sicker of of digging through my wee little drawer of earrings to find the right pair each morning.  So, I went to the thrift store in search of something with an area to attach some mesh for displaying my pretty ear trinkets. 
I searched and searched and in the second thrifty store I found the most perfect, disgustingly painted... thing.  Don't know if it once held a picture or a mirror or if it simply framed nothingness, but it had an under-the-sea theme complete with little 3-D fish glued on and a few dings here and there.  I gladly paid the $4.50 asking price and merrily brought it home to show hubby my find!

I chiseled off the fishes, sanded down the destruction they left behind (along with whatever else I could smooth out), primed it up [hurry up and dry] painted it a few coats of a relaxing shade of NEON PINK [hurry up and dry dry dry] and then I spent many blissful hours doodling my favorite things all over it.  Then I sealed it [take your time drying, I'm taking my tired butt to bed] and the next morning I hot glued some plastic canvas stuff to the back (yay, green!  now it's my fave color combo!), where the picture or mirror would have nestled in, glued a strip of cork along the bottom of the back of the canvas for studs to poke into and VOILA!  My earring display! 

I love love love it!  just need more earrings to dangle from it Smiley    ahem... hint hint future swap partners  Wink

Oh!  and Frost Yourself is from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days".  I always thought it was cute and it popped in my head as an appropriate way to start the doodling for my jewelry.  Plus, it game me a reason to make lots and lots of snowflakes!  Smiley  Yay, snow!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011 11:57:00 PM »

I'm really going to have to make myself a jewellery display, I think you just inspired me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Laymon
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011 12:13:27 AM »

Wow! That's great! I could do with something similar myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pookyblossom

Always interested in personal swaps! PM me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011 09:11:01 PM »

I 100% love it! Great doodles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{My Blog!}
{My Wist!}

Japanese Cuteness Swap: Crafting!

Will Swap for Postcard-Size Art! PM Me!
Gr33nT3a
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011 10:10:19 PM »

Ha ha ha. I kept reading the "Frost Yourself" over and over trying to remember what chick flick it was from before reading all the way to the bottom. Lo and behold the movie title is right there. I totally remember them being all dramatic about frosting yourself in diamonds.

I love all the little doodles on it. Looks like we've got ourselves a bit of a sci fi/fantasy nerd. I see a tardis, what I think is a star treck symbol,and a badass warriors sword.

I also think I see a pickle, which rocks. (I <3 pickles too.)

I spy with my little eye, someones dog tags. Can't read them though which is probably a good thing with the kind of info on them, but I was wondering whether it was you that was in the military? I'm in the Navy myself and love meeting other crafty service members.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Běifāng yǒu jiārn, jush r dl. Y g qīng rn chng, zi g qīng rn gu. Nng b zhī qīng chng yǔ qīng gu. Jiārn nn zi d.
北方有佳人,绝世而独立。一顾倾人城,再顾倾人国。宁不知倾城与倾国。佳人难再得。
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011 03:04:50 AM »

Plastic canvas!!! Genius!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011 07:23:50 PM »

Ha ha ha. I kept reading the "Frost Yourself" over and over trying to remember what chick flick it was from before reading all the way to the bottom. Lo and behold the movie title is right there. I totally remember them being all dramatic about frosting yourself in diamonds.

I love all the little doodles on it. Looks like we've got ourselves a bit of a sci fi/fantasy nerd. I see a tardis, what I think is a star treck symbol,and a badass warriors sword.

I also think I see a pickle, which rocks. (I <3 pickles too.)

I spy with my little eye, someones dog tags. Can't read them though which is probably a good thing with the kind of info on them, but I was wondering whether it was you that was in the military? I'm in the Navy myself and love meeting other crafty service members.

LMAO!!!!  That's quite an eye you've got there, I can't believe you figured out the pickle!!!!  Everything you said, is correct.  I am indeed a bit of a sci fi & fantasty nerd  Cool  And the dog tags; my hubby was in the Marine Corps  Wink

Thanks everyone, I'm so glad you like my doodles  Grin  (and I must say that the plastic canvas is working beautifully!  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NY Artist Martin Abrahams "Breaks on Through" With His Provacative Art Show
WIND SQUID #3 - Space Battle!
WIND SQUID #4 - Massive Explosion
WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
Les Nabis: When Paintings Were Inspired By Photography
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...