A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Art/scrap Journal- In Progress- Lots of Pics  (Read 1132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 19, 2011 02:33:34 PM »

I am not sure which was the first art journal I saw, but I knew as soon as I saw it, I wanted to make one.

But I was really intimidate! I had no idea where to start. I am a weird person. Give me a pattern (or instructions), I will look at it, then completely ignore it to make my own thing.

And basically (my perception anyway) an art journal is just putting a bunch of things you like together in a book type setting. It can basically be anything you want it to be.

But I still couldn't figure out how to start.

Then I stumbled across one of Phizzychick's journals. I believe it was the travel one that got me going.

Alright, enough talky talk, here are the pics.

better view of the cover, inchies (thanks ChristieAnn and tynwia!), map bits, fabric bits, and a button.

Some of my daughters art Smiley

My daughter sleeping (and holding her pig tails).

Homemade paper and a note from a swap partner.

Inchies received in a swap (thank you ChristieAnn!) I have a lot of inchies throughout the entire journal, so chances are, if you sent me inchies, you are in there somewhere, so Thanks!

The pen pocket turned out to be a happy accident. I punched the holes on the wrong side and needed to cover them. As I was sewing the material on, I realized I could leave the top open and use it to store my pen.

I love happy accidents!

My journal was created from about 90% recycled materials (I know, the back cover offers false advertising).

-The green and purple pages are just newspapers that I glued together (2 pages) and painted with acrylic paint. The cheap stuff Smiley I started out using a paint brush but it was taking to long and not going on thick enough so I switched to finger painting. Man I forgot how much fun it is to paint with my hands  Grin
- The cover is corrugated cardboard. I found the idea here Shopevalicious http://www.shopevalicious.com/2008/11/christmas-journal-tip-1.html.

-The rest just came from all the papers, envelopes, pictures, scraps, etc that I have a tendency to hoard (which wouldn't be a problem if I could figure out an organization/storage system for it all!).

Now that I am done adding papers and such to it, I am excited to go through it and do some "art." I really am not very artistic when it comes to drawing and painting, but I figure the only way I will get better is if I try/practice:)

Aside from all the awesomeness I have found through craftsters, here is another site (a blog) where I found alot of inspiration.
The Creative Place http://thecreativeplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tutorial-paper-weave-journal.html

Please let me know what you think and thank you to everyone who unknowingly inspired me to actually give this a try!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011 08:47:26 PM by KaoticKrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011 08:49:37 AM »

Way cool! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
madkaysea
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011 10:17:15 PM »

Like it!  I've been wanting to make one but just didn't know where to start.  Thanks for the links! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cecioasis
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011 02:44:37 PM »

I love it! So many colors and different textures! There are great things to look at in it! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011 05:29:35 PM »

Thank you for your nice comments!

It is really fun once you get started Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy a Digital Video Camera
How to Create a Bullet Wound with Makeup
Non-Linear Editing - A Primer
Film Editing Basics and Theory
Free Video Editing Tip: 3D Compositing
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...