A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caitlyn, Sheriff of Piltover  (Read 2171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avrienne
LeeLoo Multicraft!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2011 01:11:14 PM »

I am a proud geek, and I love to craft geeky things.  I'm in good company here at Craftster!

So a few months ago I started playing League of Legends.  My husband has been playing since last year--right after it came out it got really popular with some of our WoW friends, and they got him involved, and eventually I caved in.  The publisher, Riot Games, is incredibly involved with their player community, and they do a weekly video, the Summoner Showcase, that features player-made crafts and other LoL-related things, fan art, music, etc.  As soon as I started playing, my husband said to me, "You should make something."  I answered, "Yes, I should make something."

I had been on an embroidery kick lately, so I was thinking I'd do something like that, but then I started seeing all these poppets for the swap floating around, and I've wanted to make a poppet for a while, so this seemed like the perfect time!

Meet Caitlyn--

And for comparison, here's the art I worked from:

She's almost entirely made from thrifted or upcycled materials:  her skin, dress and hat fabrics are all thrifted, the leather is from a damaged purse of my mother's, the hat base is cardboard, the cog charm a piece of plastic lid, the wig base a section of a mesh onion bag.  Only the eyes, lace, wire, yarn, and lace trim on the petticoat are new materials!

If you were following my moaning on the Ongoing Poppet Along thread, you know I had a devil of a time with the hat, but I finally managed it and I'm pretty happy with it.  Even when I realized I'd have to pop the top piece off to glue the wire in because I forgot to do it first!

The cog charm took me a while to figure out, but eventually I thought to cut it out of a plastic lid.  I roughed up one side of the lid with a scrubbing sponge to give it a surface that paint would stick to; then to get it glued on, I cross-hatched the back of it with an X-acto knife for the glue to stick to.

Her leg bands are straps from the purse.  My sewing machine couldn't handle the leather, and gluing the ends together wasn't strong enough to hold, so I ended up notching  the ends, linking them with wire, then wrapping the wire around to hide the join.  I didn't have gold buckles for them anyway, so this works for me!

The boots, well, all I can say is that I love my hot glue gun.  Couldn't have managed without it.

The arm bands are made the same as the leg bands, but with thread instead of wire. And the gloves I am particularly proud of, the upper join is just like the bands, but for the lower join I lashed a long thong to one side instead, which threads through a slit on the opposite side, then wraps and ties around the wrist.  It was very important to me that, even though I won't be changing her wardrobe at all, that all her pieces be removable--for repairs, if nothing else.

I'm so excited that she's finally done--that hat! those boots! I thought I'd never get them right!  Thank you, of course, to ghilie for the pattern, it was very well done and I'd certainly make another one...though maybe not right away!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thrift.make.wear: my frugal fashion and craft blog
NyteFyre

I am a GrandMa to a Poppet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011 02:31:59 PM »

Caitlyn is great, so much work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***  Friendship Is The Pot Of Gold At The End Of Your Rainbow  ***
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011 09:38:39 PM »

Wow, what a cool poppet!  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A NEW day, a NEW doll... another poppet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011 12:08:18 AM »

I love ALL the accessories! The hat, the boots, and wow the gloves! You did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for summer break = swapping fun!

Poppet vs Ami - crafting
Kids Craft and Swap Round 7, x2 - sent! 1 received, 1 waiting
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011 01:27:23 PM »

she came out great! I can totally see all the same details from the picture in your poppet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vecrutzi
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011 07:10:12 PM »

I imagine Caitlyn would be a pain to make! How did you do the top stitching on the straps? I play LOL too, same name as my Craftster if you want a fellow nerdy crafter to play with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Avrienne
LeeLoo Multicraft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011 07:40:02 AM »

I imagine Caitlyn would be a pain to make! How did you do the top stitching on the straps? I play LOL too, same name as my Craftster if you want a fellow nerdy crafter to play with!

The top stitching on the leg bands is actually original, those pieces were the straps of the purse that I cannibalized for the leather, same for the straps on the boots--I glued those on to hide the seams between the boot pieces.    Some things about her were a pain--the top hat gave me no end of trouble--but most of the detail work wasn't actually that hard.  It was more about problem-solving; "I need to make this, but what can I make it out of?"  or "I need to attach these two things, how best to do that?"  I only had the vaguest of plans when I started, I knew which fabrics I'd need to hunt for and a few notions I'd need to buy, but it turns out there were lots of things I hadn't considered at all!

So good to see another LoL player, too, I haven't seen much LoL goodness around Craftster so I didn't even know if anyone would recognize her...

(And my husband has already asked which champion I'd do next.  /sigh...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thrift.make.wear: my frugal fashion and craft blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everyday DIY: Teacher Gifts
Everyday DIY: Back to School With Love
How to Put on a Puppet Show
How to Make Fishing Lures
How to Make a Cigar Box Guitar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...