A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grad 2011 Dress!  (Read 1626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

.tiaraly.
« on: June 18, 2011 02:52:46 PM »

Or, at least at my school they call it grad. I just went as somebody's date, hence why I opted for a short dress. I wish I had taken some pictures of the back but I completely forgot! This was done without a apttern because I couldn't find anything very similar to what I wanted, so a looot of it was winged hahah! I spent forever trying to figure out how to drape it, and then eventually figured to just play around with it and pin down and sew whatever I think looked good.

The little gem thing is crooked and off centre...to be honest, I was really hoping that'd I'd be able to buy a premade one somewhere, but nothing came in the right shape so I just made one with netting and sequins. It didn't turn out exactly like how I imagined it would, haha!

This is the best picture I have of the front, unfortunately. I wish the sash of fabric that went across was higher up over the hip, though.

Aaand this is the only picture I have of the other side. You can't really tell in this picture, but there's a sash of fabric in the back that's supposed to look like it's connected to the gathering in the front, but I missed it by a good inch hahaha...luckily there's the emblem there, but like the piece up top, I wasn't too happy with it.

However, considering I didn't really start it until a week before (even though I had a good...two months worth of notice! My baaad), I'm happy with it. Now to start designing my dress for my own grad next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011 03:13:20 PM »

I wouldn't have noticed the flaws unless you'd pointed them out and asymmetric is all the fashion anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
CrackedGlassMask
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011 03:44:14 PM »

What lovely draping!
You look positively darling, I love the colour, and trust me: your little "mistakes" are invisible to everyone but you. Store-bought dresses come with a multitude of sins, your gown is probably less flawed than something off the rack.

I really love the colour, and way to go! This is pretty brilliant work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011 05:55:47 PM »

you look stunning in it!the dress looksso professionally done,i dont see any mistakes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magentarose
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011 10:04:06 PM »

You look amazing in this dress, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. It's stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teaanddinosaurs
tea drinker & dinosaur lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011 04:22:32 AM »

That is actually amazing, well done! Nobody would have noticed the itty bitty 'flaws' if you hadn't mentioned them, and it fits you perfectly and ooh I'm a little jealous Cheesy hahaha. Really nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Science knows it doesn't know everything... or it would stop.
bohemiancupcakes:)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011 06:02:57 PM »

fabulous draping! and i really love the color Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.tiaraly.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011 09:06:23 AM »

Oh thank you so much everybody! The draping honestly intimidated me so much haha...I didn't have a dressform or anything so I would have to pin it on the counter, hold it up to see how it would look, and then have to stitch it in place without moving it around. It was such a hassle and I'm positive it wasn't the most technical way to drape at all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krisaissosmart

What we think, we become.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011 12:34:44 PM »

I'm in love with the color. So pretty! That dress looks better than a lot of store bought dresses I've seen. I can't even imagine making something without a pattern and having it come out that nice. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No punchy punchy."
leannxo
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011 12:49:57 PM »

holy crap, that's really nice!  Totally looks professional.  I browse wedding and prom dress websites like daily (my poor husband) and this is just as nice as any of them.  You could totally sell this for big bucks.  You are good, I'm jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Secret to a Perfect Topknot
Anti-Aging Hair Products to Start Using Now
Set the (Two-)Tone: Ombré Inspiration to Take to the Salon
Braided Headband Tutorial
Katy Perry’s Hair Colorist on Adding “Adult” Streaks
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...