A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Latch hooked rag rug - with tutorial  (Read 17611 times)
Tags for this thread: rug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arachnes thumb
« on: June 18, 2011 12:35:11 PM »

So, about 10 years ago (no exaggeration), I started making a rag rug.  About a year ago, my mom was cleaning out her craft room and came across a box of my crafting items labeled "rugs".  In the box was my unfinished project and the supplies to finish it.  It was only a fraction of the way done, but I figured I'd finish it.   Anything I can do while sitting on the couch, right? 

Anyway, 100+ hours later, here is the finished rug:

It turned out very nice, but it was seriously laborious.  I have to ask myself...what was I thinking when I started this in college?  Or perhaps a more accurate question would be:  what was I smoking?!  and how much??   The first rug I ever made like this was a smaller one, which I gave to my sister.  I guess I was feeling ambitious after that one.  Or something. 

The materials used are:

rug canvas
sharpie marker
an unholy amount of fabric scraps
latch hook
pinking shears or rotary cutter with pinking blade
patience and time
television (preferably a series that you can stream for hours at a time)
a comfortable couch

Start with the rug canvas, and cut it to the size you want your rug to be

I drew a rough design with sharpie marker on the rug canvas, leaving about an inch of squares on each side around the perimeter of the rug canvas that I did not draw on or latch hook. 

Then, with a rotary mat, ruler and rotary cutter with a pinking blade on it, I cut many, many, many strips of fabric.
The best size strips are 1/2 inch wide and 4 inches long.  If the fabric is stiffer, thinner strips work.  If it's floppier, then fatter strips work.   

The jagged edges made by the pinking shears prevents fraying (I think).  I only used 1 blade for the whole rug, but it was extremely dull by the time I finished.  I actually counted how many strips I used once the rug was all done.  It was over 10,000!  Insane.

Once I had a heaping pile of scraps cut, then I would bring them over to the couch and begin latch hooking. 

I hooked in horizontal rows.  Fabric is pretty bulky, so there is no need to hook a piece of fabric onto every side of the square. 
like so:
  __
xl__lx
xl__lx
xl__lx

the "x" marks where I would've hooked a piece of fabric.  You can see that the top and bottom rungs of the square are left empty. 

fold the scrap of fabric in half, stick the latch hook through and grab the piece of fabric in the folded center. 

Pull in half-way through, so that in one square is a loop of fabric (the folded center with the latch hook in it), and the two ends of the fabric are sticking through the adjacent square. 

Then, grab the loose ends with the latch hook and pull them through the loop. 

Essentially, tying the fabric in a knot around the rug canvas. 

If anyone's still paying attention at this point, I apologize for the boring and difficult explanation of how to latch hook.  I'm sure most of you know how to latch hook....and I'm beginning to develop a huge respect for people who write "how to" craft books.  It is very hard to articulate these things....

Anyway, you may need to pull up on the ends of the fabric strip to tighten the knot. 

Here's a row:

You can see the empty rows left on the edge of the rug canvas, left for finishing. 

Months later, once you have finished the top of the rug (and possibly have sworn never to undertake this project again in your life), it is time to put the back on the rug.

Now, I am by no means a pro rug maker, so there are probably better, fancier, prettier ways to do this.  Possibly, you should stop reading at this point and go check out a book from the library on how to finish a rug properly with canvas and webbing. 

I just sewed a slab of canvas onto the back of the rug, tucked it over the raw edges of the rug canvas and sewed it down. 

Pretty rough.  But finished!

The finished rug measures about 2 feet X 3 feet and it is very soft to sink your toes into!

Thanks for looking, everyone!  comments and crit are, of course, welcome

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChristieAnn
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011 12:42:59 PM »

Beautiful job!  Way too pretty (and too laborious) to walk on!!  Over 10,000 strips?  Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I HAVE LOTS OF UNMOUNTED RUBBER STAMPS - MOST PRISTINE - WOULD LOVE TO TRADE FOR VINTAGE PLASTIC KNITTING NEEDLES OR WOOD SPOOLS OF THREAD - PM ME!

Wists:  http://www.wists.com/ChristieAnn
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011 01:23:00 PM »

You're a trooper to complete such a project and I love the way it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011 02:13:18 PM »

haha with your sense of humor you probably SHOULD write a how-to book! XD

I love the idea of making a rug but I think I'd be to OCD about anyone stepping on it...

"I MADE THAT!!!! 10,000 STRIPS OF FABRIC you're putting your dirty feet on!!!"

lol you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011 06:22:53 PM »

So awesome!  Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arachnes thumb
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011 07:41:12 PM »

haha with your sense of humor you probably SHOULD write a how-to book! XD

I love the idea of making a rug but I think I'd be to OCD about anyone stepping on it...

"I MADE THAT!!!! 10,000 STRIPS OF FABRIC you're putting your dirty feet on!!!"

lol you get the idea.

Beautiful job!  Way too pretty (and too laborious) to walk on!!  Over 10,000 strips?  Wow!

Yeah, I don't know...my mom suggested hanging it on the wall rather than using it as a functional rug, but I feel like it should be used for its intended purpose.  I don't think we'll use it in my house, or it would quickly become a rug that looks like it's been made out of dust and black dog hair.  haha

As for writing a "how to" book of my own - that's an interesting idea...I think it would consist mostly of me lamenting the amount of work and wine required to finish the project! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011 08:52:32 AM »

and I think in this day and age, that book would sell!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AMIFRIENDS

I LOVE MONKEYS!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011 08:40:49 AM »

a lot of work ha??? but looks completely georgeous!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I DON,T NEED TO GET ORGANIZED. I JUST NEED A BIGGER CRAFT ROOM =)

Im up for personal swaps...

My wists:
http://www.wists.com/AMIFRIENDS

my pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/amifriends/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glazing Your Pottery
Firing Your Pottery
Making the Handle for a Clay Mug
Trimming the Clay Cylinder
Throwing the Clay
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...